Anyone want to play a PbP Parlor Game? The King Is Dead

• Judge

In the lulls between the other PbP, is anyone interested in checking out this parlor game called The King is Dead? There's some light roleplaying and creative world-building, but it's not full-on immersive RPing. Each player has "turns" that they take, like you might in a board game or something. But, there's enough of a story that I think it'd lend itself to forum play.

Premise:

The king of Banteave, Eyvard III, high prince of House Dillestone and Sovereign of the Seaward Coast, has died without heir. Civil war is certain.

You’re a young warrior prince or warrior princess of one of the noble houses of Banteave. You’re caught up in this looming war of succession, but you aren’t the one who’ll be crowned. Your more exalted cousins call upon you to fight for them, strive for them, and die for their coronation, but that’s not the object of the game.

The object of the game is to make a mess.

HOW TO PLAY
    You’ll need 3–5 players. Set aside at least an hour to play, more the more players you have. Each player needs their own copy of this playbook.

To start, introduce your characters.

To play, take turns around the table. On your turn, choose a game to play. Turn to that page of the playbook and follow the rules you find there.

Go around the table at least once, and then keep going if you want to.

Start with a game of Intrigue and Muster, and end with Endgame: The Coronation.

THE OBJECT OF THE GAME
    The object of the game is to make a mess. Create messy entanglements with the other players, fight with your friends, ally with your rivals, fall in love with your enemies.
    The object of the game isn’t to see your character’s house victorious in the succession war for the crown of Banteave. You can work toward that if you want to, or you can work against it, or whatever you choose. Just remember that the object of the game is to make a mess instead!

INTRODUCING YOUR CHARACTERS
    To introduce your characters, turn to page 5 and follow the rules there.
    Be sure to mark your house’s starting muster with a paperclip on page 16.

ROUNDS
    Take turns around the table. The oldest player goes first.
    On your turn, choose one of the games. Turn to that page in the playbook and follow the rules there.

On the very first turn of the game, choose Intrigue and Muster. Turn to page 16 and follow the rules for that game.

After you’ve played Intrigue and Muster, it’s the next player’s turn to choose. Choose any game you want, except Endgame: The Coronation. Keep taking turns around the table until you’ve been all the way around.

THE GAMES
    p 8–9 An Animated Disagreementp
    10–11 A Chasep
    12–13 A Conversation Over Food
    14–15 A Dancep
    16–21 Intrigue and Muster
    22–23 Meeting Sword to Sword
    24–25 Stealing Time Together
    26–29 Trials By Contestp
    30–31 Warp
    32 Endgame: The Coronation

THE GENERAL RULE
    You can always just read out what’s written, verbatim. Fill in any blanks from your own imagination. You can ad lib instead, if you like. You should convey the thrust of what’s written, and try not to contradict what’s written. Either way, you can always elaborate freely.

YOUR DUTIES
    Play easy, play fair, and always let the other players make their own decisions for themselves.

Try to get your character into messy entanglements with the others. That’s the object of the game, after all.

If you don’t know which game to choose, Intrigue and Muster is a good choice. It’s quick and you can use it to set off the next round of action.

• Judge

• Ven

I've been training all my life for this game.....

• Judge

@chas_the_mystic said in Anyone want to play a PbP Parlor Game? The King Is Dead:

I've been training all my life for this game.....

Sweet. If we get one or two more we can start. Go ahead and pick a House.

Luckily, this should be much lighter in terms of time because GM-less and ordered play.

• Knight Apocalypse Martian

I might be into this. I’m a fan of Baker’s games. Let me read up before I commit.

• Judge

@no1raddad said in Anyone want to play a PbP Parlor Game? The King Is Dead:

I might be into this. I’m a fan of Baker’s games. Let me read up before I commit.

It’s pretty straight forward. Read up.

• Judge

Put out a couple posts on G+ and StoryGames to see if we have a 4th or 5th.

• Judge

I’d be interested, depending on the intended speed of play. I didn’t realize Vincent Baker made a fantasy version of Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands.

• Hi, I'm a long way from Louisville but I'd love to play. I'm Danny, I'm from Seattle, and I'm active on Story Games and RPG.Net. I am a huge Vincent Baker fanboy so eager to try out a new game by him, especially a story game that sounds like it would be self-contained. I mostly play online so I like that.

• Judge

Sounds good @DannyK and @da_jman!

I think that's 5 if @no1raddad is in. Everyone ready to get started? Any thoughts on which house you want to play?

• Judge

My favorites on the list are definitely Luneste and Antyre.

• Judge

@da_jman said in Anyone want to play a PbP Parlor Game? The King Is Dead:

My favorites on the list are definitely Luneste and Antyre.

Pick one. We'll go first come, first served.

• Judge

I’ll take Luneste then.

• Judge

@chas_the_mystic, @DannyK, and @no1raddad go ahead and pick a House. I'll take whatever is left. We'll start a new thread for the game.

• House Oake stands tall!

• Ven

House Sandoreale will rise again!*

*unless my ambitious cousin pisses me off

• Judge

@da_jman -- House Luneste
    @DannyK -- House Oake
    @chas_the_mystic -- House Sandoreale

That leaves Dillestone and Antyre for us, @no1raddad. Do you have a preference?

• Judge

Also, what's everyone's age to determine who goes first? I'm 35.

• 50 (gulp)

• Judge

@dannyk said in Anyone want to play a PbP Parlor Game? The King Is Dead:

50 (gulp)

I think we have a winner folks!

Online Users

Top Topics

Users

Topics