Gold for XP

• Judge

This is a good video. He doesn't mention some reasons but he nails the key points to this mechanic.

• He does a great job breaking it down.

• He mentions in the comments another important point: Gold for XP means XP is a physical, tangible thing that often requires figuring out how to get it from Point A to Point B.

• Judge

@mike said in Gold for XP:

He mentions in the comments another important point: Gold for XP means XP is a physical, tangible thing that often requires figuring out how to get it from Point A to Point B.

I didn't read the comments, that's a thing I thought of. Copper pieces will be left behind. Fragile rare bottles of wine or dyes will need to be protected. Fools will try to cast Shrink on Adamantine hatches and roll them out like wagon wheels. ;)

• Adventurer

There are reasons this was dropped from the official system of D&D a long time ago. It's fine for a certain type of game, but basically encourages being a murder-hobo.

• Kraaler

@cawilliams said in Gold for XP:

There are reasons this was dropped from the official system of D&D a long time ago. It's fine for a certain type of game, but basically encourages being a murder-hobo.

I have played a couple campaigns with this system and have never witnessed that to be the case?

• @aaron said in Gold for XP:

I have played a couple campaigns with this system and have never witnessed that to be the case?

Yes, and I'm also a little confused how killing things for XP encourages less murder-hobo style play.

• Adventurer

Not every encounter must be resolved with combat. Most DM's don't really have or give themselves the option that I've seen so far, but I know one of my first games ran six hours and we went through many different scenarios and encounters without bloodshed.

• @cawilliams said in Gold for XP:

Not every encounter must be resolved with combat. Most DM's don't really have or give themselves the option that I've seen so far, but I know one of my first games ran six hours and we went through many different scenarios and encounters without bloodshed.

How do you usually award XP?

• Adventurer

How do you usually award XP?

I've not personally ran a game yet, but I'd hope I could be allowed have a solid opinion from the players side of things.

One of the big things I'd likely throw out the window if I were to run is consistent alignment across every member of a "monstrous" race, giving players an actual ability to get through a problem without fighting if they can communicate.

Beyond that I've gotten to play in a game in the Multiverse that used Gold-to-XP and it really soured what was otherwise a wonderful one-shot of intrigue and very little combat.

• Oh you can have an opinion. So, what is your preferred method of getting XP?

• Adventurer

I do actually really enjoy being able to get through a problem without fighting if possible. But this isn't really in a single players hands, as you might never know what the others may do. It's also not easy to do this with "monsters" since they're traditionally played extremely hostile.

• Yeah, I still don't see how getting through something without fighting is antithetical to Gold-for-XP.

But, you didn't really answer the question. What is your preferred method for awarding XP?

• Adventurer

Yeah, I still don't see how getting through something without fighting is antithetical to Gold-for-XP.

But, you didn't really answer the question. What is your preferred method for awarding XP?

I have, repeatedly. Getting through an encounter in a way that doesn't require fighting. Using the standard rules in the 5e book of awarding the XP based on the difficulty of the encounter.

• Sorry, I didn't know that's what you were saying. You just kept saying you wanted an option to avoid combat. I think that could be numerous XP options.

Let me ask you this. Gold for XP.

I tell you, there's a 10,000 GP gem in a tower. There are monsters in the tower. If you get the gem, and get back to town with it, you get 10,000 XP.

Is there a way to do that without fighting?

• Adventurer

100%, just last Friday there was a situation where the party managed to get out of a place they were not meant to be without getting caught.

I get what you're saying, by the way. However depending on the mindset of the player you might have people trying to pull shiny candelabras off the walls of an allied NPCs house, some might seek to just outright kill anyone to strip them down and sell their stuff.

It works if you know your party. It doesn't work so well in the Multiverse where the party can be very different every time.

And assuming the gem in the tower is a party effort, generally I'd expect the Gold and therefore XP to be split among the party.

• Kraaler

It works well in an environment where there are consequences to the PCs actions.

For example, if the party goes stripping every NPC house for loot, sooner or later they'll be banned from that city.

One shots I can see some players abusing ANY system that's in place.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.