Swords v. Spears

• Judge

Discuss.

@Aaron you might be particularly interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

• Judge

Maybe this is why large shields become so prominent? Use the shield to thrust aside the spear tip to create an opening for the sword?

• Judge

@mike said in Swords v. Spears:

Maybe this is why large shields become so prominent? Use the shield to thrust aside the spear tip to create an opening for the sword?

Yup. 12:00 minutes. Shield helps.

• Judge

Also, Lindybeige could be @Jackson's cousin.

• Knight Fauxrunner Scyther

There are rules for safety in ACL (no thrusting) but you see a lot of 2 handed weapons, namely axes (again, because of safety rules).

A 2-handed axe about 3' long is brutal to someone even in full plate. A sword however does little damage. Good plate armor has virtually no gaps that a sword would do any damage to IMO. A good thrust might be able to gap a visor, neck, or shoulder... but slashing would be pointless.

Large shields are a handicap in the ACL. Small "punch" shields and bucklers are the only ones used, if any.

A good video though, I watched the whole thing.

• Knight Fauxrunner Judge

Yeah, that video was super cool. Makes me want to do that.

• Judge

@Aaron what do you mean large shields are a handicap?

D&D houserule I’m thinking: if you have a longer reach weapon you attack with advantage unless your opponent has a shield.

Thoughts?

• Knight Fauxrunner Scyther

Large shields are kind of wonky. If you know how to hit them with a axe/hammer/etc, the weilder can't control the tilt of it then you follow up with an off hand strike from the other side. That, or your opponent just grabs the shield with their offhand and pulls you off balance.

That video is showing HEMA rules. In ACL, it's much more full contact and pain compliance and/or knocking your opponent down for melees. Duals are point based and don't stop with 1 hit.

• Judge

I just imagine that you need to know how to actually use a shield. How I imagine a shield being used it very different from how it seems it was actually used.

I watched this video quite a while ago, but it still stands out in my mind as like, "Oh! That's how a shield should be used! Not just as a handheld wall."

Around 3:30 he busts out the shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

Plus, like dude says in original video, used in formations a shield gets even better.

Follow Nerd Louisville!

Online Users

Top Topics

Users

Topics