LFP/SG: Ars Magica, 5th ed

• Posted this on the ArM and Roll20 forums. I didn't know if anyone in town would be interested in exploring this though, so I figured I might as well post it here too.

Hello all, I'm trying to find some people to work on an Ars Magica campaign together. There has been some chatter on a Roll20 post that sort of revived my interest in ArM. I know it takes a lot of work and communication from the little I know of the game from a GenCon demo about 20 years ago and poring over the books on and off over that span of time. Given that my time is limited, I don't think I could commit to being an SG. That said, I'm hoping for a PbP or 2x a month voice chat game. Given the realities of life I'm reticent to commit to more than that. I'd love to find a group of people, perhaps even new and curious players and/or storyguides that would like to explore the system together over a long period of time. Is anyone interested in committing to really giving it a go with me? The times are negotiable, though weekend evenings are tough for me given social commitments and I game two Tuesday evenings a month roughly doing a Torchbearer game. I'm a history teacher in Louisville, KY USA (GMT -4).

I know it's a long shot, but why not try :)

Email me if you're interested: sheddingDOTsoundsATgmailDOTcom

Thanks!

• The long shot may be coming together better than I'd have imagined in such a fragmented community (as ArM is). Anyway, figured I'd put this up again as things start solidifying. Still sorting out a fair amount, but we have 5 right now I think. Scheduling will probably mean 1 or 2 may drop out, but the troupe style that Ars Magica employs mean people can shuffle in and out depending on life stuff and how the narrative is constructed, so maybe everyone can still be involved.

If anyone in Louisville would be interested (I assume most people are Louisville residents anyway), message me and I can send you an invite to a Discord channel where discussion is taking place.

Best,
    C

• I should probably include a link for people unfamiliar with ArM:

"Imagine an age where myth is real and where the superstitions of the common folk hold true: faeries dance in forest glades, angels protect the Church, demons corrupt the weak, and wizards wield magic beyond the ken of other mortals. You play these magi, gathered in covenants with your allies and servants, unlocking secret powers and creating wonders. You and your friends will also portray the loyal companions and grogs who stand with the magi, as a buffer between them and the mundane world that often misunderstands their power and motives. When adventures draw you out into the medieval world of Mythic Europe, your stories are the stuff of legend. "

• This sounds interesting to me, however, I'm already in four (2 Tt, 2 PbP) games at the moment and working on running one myself, so I'll have to consider if I can add another game onto that or not.

• Cool, no pressure and definitely don't want anyone committing without really giving it thought. That's one of the reasons why I don't game much in person anymore, is because it's so hard to keep a group together if the expectation is consistent attendance, which is super important to me. But if you decide that you are up for talking about it, I think we're going to work slowly over post until the new year when the GMs schedule opens up...that effort will hopefully yield a really strong foundation for a long lasting game by building a covenant and collection of characters that are thoughtfully constructed.

I've been doing an online game 2x a month for about 3-4 hours a session and because we've all really been invested and committed it's held together for almost a year and a half. I'm really thankful for that, since so many online games (and in person) fizzle out due to not staying on the same page or people committing out of initial enthusiasm and then having real life stuff intrude. That's why weekly is tough for me and I'm hoping this ends up being 2x a month as well with flexible scheduling. :) If it works out, it'd be way more gaming than I've done regularly in probably 10+ years.

• So, from my understanding this game will be infrequent enough, starting out, that it shouldn't be hard to join. Plus, one of my PbP games is looking like it's going to crumble and the game I was starting met a disastrous end, (Honestly, it's been started for two months now and has met nothing but trouble, I got tired of trying to force it off the ground.)

So, I'm game. I'll see if I can get a copy of the book.

Users

Topics