Jousting

• Judge

Jousting Rules

The object of the joust is obviously to unhorse your opponent, and that results in an immediate win. However you only have 3 passes to attempt to unhorse the opponent. If neither side is able to unhorse the other (or they are both unhorsed on the same pass) then a score will be used to determine the winner. The table below shows the points scored for various hits in the joust. In the event of a draw, both Knights will advance to the next round.

Result Score
    Opponent's Helm Knocked Off (but not Unhorsed) +1
    Opponent's Helm Knocked Off & Unhorsed +4
    Opponent Unhorsed +3
    Opponent Injured +1
    Your Lance is Broken +1

Each joust will consist of three passes, and during each pass both contestants must declare the Aiming Point (AP) and Defensive Posture (DP) for the pass.

When you submit your AP and DP to the Dungeon Master (me), do it via direct message and use the following codes:

Aiming Point

Aiming Point Code
    Helm H
    Dexter Chief DC
    Chief Pale CP
    Sinister Chief SC
    Dexter Fess DF
    Fess Pale FP
    Sinister Fess SF
    Base B

Defensive Posture

Defensive Posture Code
    Lower Helm 1
    Lean Right 2
    Lean Left 3
    Steady Seat 4
    Shield High 5
    Shield Low 6

Certain defensive postures are not allowed when some aiming points are used. Use the table below to determine if your DP and AP are compatible.

Permitted Defensive Posturing

Aiming Point Defensive Posture Permitted
    H 4-6
    DC 3-6
    CP Any
    SC 2, 4-6
    DF 4-6
    FP Any
    SF 4-6
    B 1, 4-6

0_1544590831750_shield.PNG

• Judge

Once both knights send me their DP & AP, they will be assessed using the following table to determine the result of the pass.

Jousting Result Table

Lower Helm (1) Lean Right (2) Lean Left (3) Steady Seat (4) Shield High (5) Shield Low (6)
    Helm (H) M M M H U M
    Dexter Chief (DC) U B M B B M
    Chief Pale (CP) B/U/I U G B B/U U/I
    Sinister Chief (SC) G M B G G U/I
    Dexter Fess (DF) B/U/I B/U M B M B
    Fess Pale (FP) B/U G B B/U B/U/I B
    Sinister Fess (SF) G M B/U G G G
    Base (B) B G U B B/U/I B

The results are explained below.

Results Table

Result Code
    Broken Lance* B
    Glances Off G
    Helm Knocked Off* H
    Injured I
    Miss M
    Unhorsed U

*Any knight who breaks his lance or has his helm knocked off must assume a steady seat (4) next pass.

(B) Broken Lance

Results of Broken Lances scores 1 point for the Knight and requires him to use Steady Set (4) for his next Defensive Posture.

(H) Helm Knocked Off

A result of Helm Knocked Off will require a saving throw vs. Dragon Breath to prevent being unhorsed. A failed saving throw results in a loss (unless both Knights are unhorsed).

(I) Injured

A result of Injured will require a secret “to hit” roll versus the defender’s AC based upon the attacker’s level and modifiers. If the Knight is hit for damage, he must also make a saving throw vs. Death to remain on the horse. Regardless of the saving throw, the Knight will take full damage from the hit with the lance. This can sometimes cause death, a risk all tourney Knights must face.

(U) Unhorsed

Results of Unhorsed will actually consist of a saving throw vs. Paralysis. A failed save means the knight has fallen from the saddle and lost the round (unless both Knights have been unhorsed see below).

• Judge

Ransom

Each knight must pay a ransom after each loss in a joust or forfeit his armor and mount. The amount of ransom is equivalent to the cost of the armor type and horse based on the following table.

Mount Ransom

Mount Ransom
    Riding Horse 50 gp
    Light Warhorse 75 gp
    Medium Warhorse 125 gp
    Heavy Warhorse 200 gp

Armor Ransom

Armor Ransom
    Boiled Leather 10 gp
    Mail Hauberk 75 gp
    Plate & Mail 200 gp
    Full Plate 350 gp

• Wastelander of Zharr

Where do these rules come from?

• Judge

@AronBC said in Jousting:

Where do these rules come from?

Chainmail! It's basically OD&D Knights using the jousting matrix from Chainmail (this image is from 3rd Edition):

• Wastelander of Zharr

Swim

• Judge

😁

This first tourney will focus on Jousting but I'll have some battle royale melees and shit too. Hoping this evolves into a PbP Campaign that runs like this:

1. Tourney (lots of players involved)
    2. Episodic Quest (very short quest with a few Knights)
    3. Tourney
    4. Episodic Quest

And, so forth. Tourneys can involve any and all players who might have had to bow out due to time constraints. And, then quests are a little more involved but shorter than a full campaign and has a finite end. And, whoever is available at the time can go "a questing".

XP from Tourneys and Quests accumulate.

Online Users

Top Topics

Users

Topics