Game Discussion

• Judge

@Knights-of-the-Five-Kingdoms if you have any questions, post in this thread.

We're up to 6 knights it seems once @AronBC, @Kersus and @GabrielUY create their knights. We'll leave registration open over the weekend so more people can get in on it and then kick off the tourney.

• Judge

I think @B_Black and @JohnY might be in too. So, that gets us up to 8 possible knights.

• Ven

@Mike said in Questions:

I think @B_Black and @JohnY might be in too. So, that gets us up to 8 possible knights.

Yep. Just joined.

• Judge

Excellent. When you have created your character, then read this thread:

https://community.nerdlouisville.org/topic/1687/tourney-of-winterhaven

Once I have a final tally, I'll randomize pairings for the first round!

• Ven

Question the first: do we need to select which of the Seven Five Kingdoms we hail from as part of character setup?

Also, I'm wondering if (for a longer PbP campaign at least, if not a joust-a-rama) some rules for relationships to other knights would be in order?

• Wastelander of Zharr

@Mike don’t wait on me, I’m just going to watch when I have a moment

• Judge

@chas_the_mystic said in Questions:

Question the first: do we need to select which of the Seven Five Kingdoms we hail from as part of character setup?

Also, I'm wondering if (for a longer PbP campaign at least, if not a joust-a-rama) some rules for relationships to other knights would be in order?

Ha! You don't have to decide that now, but I did post a basic outline of geography of the Seven Five Kingdoms if you wanted to think about it. I'll add more details as we do more.

As for relationships, are you thinking AW style? I'm leaning toward no for that and imagine you're all meeting for the first time as newly dubbed knights. Though, perhaps relationships develop in play? What do you think? On the one hand, cool for questing. On the other, a heavy lift for a player who might just joust and call it a day.

• Judge

@AronBC said in Questions:

@Mike don’t wait on me, I’m just going to watch when I have a moment

Right on.

• Ven

@Mike said in Questions:

As for relationships, are you thinking AW style? I'm leaning toward no for that and imagine you're all meeting for the first time as newly dubbed knights. Though, perhaps relationships develop in play? What do you think? On the one hand, cool for questing. On the other, a heavy lift for a player who might just joust and call it a day.

Yeah, something like this, but maybe more specific and geared toward adding flavor (or a reason to quest together) to a longer campaign: a family enemy (+ to attack?) ; or personal enemy (this one is probably best developed in play); or someone you're related to by marriage (+ to parley with); your lands are adjacent; etc. Didn't mean to make it too complicated for just a joust.

• Judge

@Mike said in Questions:

Yeah, something like this, but maybe more specific and geared toward adding flavor (or a reason to quest together) to a longer campaign: a family enemy (+ to attack?) ; or personal enemy (this one is probably best developed in play); or someone you're related to by marriage (+ to parley with); your lands are adjacent; etc. Didn't mean to make it too complicated for just a joust.

Yeah, we can absolutely do this. Let me come up with some rules.

• Judge

Modifiers from stats:

Ability Score Adjustment
    Strength 15+ +1 to melee
    Strength 6- -1 to melee
    Intelligence 15+ earn +10% experience
    Intelligence 6- earn -10% experience
    Wisdom 15+ +1 to saving throws
    Wisdom 6- -1 to saving throws
    Constitution 15+ +1 hit point per HD
    Constitution 6- -1 hit point per HD (cannot go below 1 per HD)
    Dexterity 15+ +1 to missiles
    Dexterity 6- -1 to missiles
    Charisma 15+ bonus to loyalty/morale of squire & retinue
    Charisma 6- penalty to loyalty/morale of squire & retinue

• Judge

@Mike said in Questions:

Check this out and lemme know what you think: https://community.nerdlouisville.org/topic/1694/campaign-play

• Ven

@Mike said in Game Discussion:

@Mike said in Questions:

Check this out and lemme know what you think: https://community.nerdlouisville.org/topic/1694/campaign-play

This looks awesome Mike.

• Judge

@JohnY brings up a really good point about being able to modify tactics based on the pass (although, it wouldn't have mattered in his case) and the description of what the other knight does (and for future tilts against knights paying attention to previous rounds).

Additionally, if a knight breaks a lance, they must use the Steady Seat DP in the next round. This means, things may change from what was submitted.

So, I'm going to use the following rules for the jousts going forward:

1. You still submit 3 passes worth of jousting at the beginning.
    2. I will calculate the 1st Pass and post.
    3. You will have an option to keep or change your next pass. If you change, I will amend your next Pass submission and calculate the next pass after both knights have decided to keep or change.
    4. If I don't hear from the player after giving them time to adjust, I will use their original submission (unless they broke a lance, see below).
    5. If a knight has broken a lance, they have to use Steady Seat DP. If I don't hear from a knight and they are required to change to this, then I will select an AP randomly.

Additionally, I will describe what a knight is doing more thoroughly so other knights can clearly see what moves they are doing.

The goal of all this is to make it less random and knights have more choice. Sometimes, you'll just get unhorsed in the first go. Bummer. But, the more agency the better.

Does this make sense to everyone?

• Judge

Holy shit. @Aaron, you almost killed @edpfaff. You rolled a 13 to hit and needed a 14 to hit him. You would have probably killed him with your lance!

Definitely the closest joust so far! Could have gone either way.

• Knight Dark Islander Scyther

Holy shit. @Aaron, you almost killed @edpfaff. You rolled a 13 to hit and needed a 14 to hit him. You would have probably killed him with your lance!

A nail biter, but "almost" didn't win the day.

• Judge

@Aaron said in Game Discussion:

A nail biter, but "almost" didn't win the day.

Amen.

Perhaps Sir Tyrek can go a questing to purchase a new steed and return to the tourney field!

• Dungeon Master

Got room for one more in the tourney?

• I think this one is almost over but there’s another one coming

• Judge

@Praetorius said in Game Discussion:

Got room for one more in the tourney?

Good to see you here, man! Unfortunately, we have started this one. You're just a day late.

However, this will be an ongoing thing. See Campaign Play thread!

Users

Topics