Hardcore Board Games

• Looking for players interested in playing complex, high-strategy board-games on a Tuesday evening, 6-11pm.

The games played will rotate. Games will last 3-5 hours, with a possibility to be continued the following week.

Players are expected to VAGUELY know the rules of the pre-selected game and be ready to play at 6pm.

All those interested roll a D20 in this discussion. High rollers will receive the address. Previous week winners get auto-invite.

First game up is Archipelago (https://youtu.be/KeHUkmd_T1s) on 10-29-19.
    Followed by DUNE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_WINTqtjo) 11-12-19.

• Judge

Dune!!!! I just ordered that game.

Did you select Tuesdays to specifically exclude me???

• @Mike I might have to postpone DUNE till 2020. I leave the country from Dec 6th till 22nd and that is when it would actually arrive. If you get the game earlier, let me know. I could schedule a Sunday or Wednesday HBG just for you.

As it stands, the 11-12-19 game is up for debate, but I did read someone was interested in a GoT Risk game with the added rules. I would be happy to Sub that in on 11-12.

• Judge

I already have my tracking info for Dune shipping, which says it should arrive this week. So, I'm down to schedule a game for it in the near future. I can post when it arrives.

tracking.PNG

• Judge

In other words, let's schedule a big all-day Sunday for Dune in the near future. Preferably, before I go back to work on November 18th.

• @Mike

Nov 10th would be best. Is (11-10) good with you Mike? Since you are the owner of the game we can work out the "where" info together. Then make a new thread to get players signed up.

Everyone else follow the terms as stated in 1st post. First game up is Archipelago (10-29).

• Judge

Nov. 10th should work. Go ahead and feel free to recruit for the game. Just save me a seat.

• Judge

808B4CB7-24C6-4E16-8D38-EAE39752154E.jpeg

It’s hereeeee!

• Sorry I can't make it dude, but we still need to find some time to revisit our old Squad Leader days. Also, if you are doing this other days and I can ever make it, I'd suggest checking out The Grizzled. I think you'd dig it.

• HBG Game 1 breakdown.
    Archipelago, 5 players.

Players win by receiving victory points based on one Public Victory Condition and each players' Secret Victory condition.

Public Victory Condition: Have the most money.

TomunistParty (Secret Victory condition: have the most fish)
    Smalley (Secret Victory condition: cause the natives to kill the players through unrest)
    Allen (Secret Victory condition: Keep the unrest to a very low amount)
    T (Secret Victory condition: Have the most towns in wooded areas)
    Cole Train (Secret Victory condition: Have the most money)

Turn 1-2
    Each player explores the archipelago, creating a map particularly rich in cattle and pineapples and composed of many land locked tiles. Except for player T, who establishes her colonies on a series of islands with decent amounts of wood, iron, and stone.
    Turn 3-5
    T purchases an evolution called "slavery," allowing her to double her production at the cost of creating unrest. She uses this to gain a good collection of resources, building towns, churches, and markets.
    Cole Train purchases an evolution called barbarian, enabling him to scorch a tile of its resources (making it barren) for a one time instant collection of the resources (this creates unrest). He uses this to scorch the inland areas hurting Smalley and TomunistParty.
    TomunistParty, having established a good wood supply, built many ship and then purchased the "Pirate" evolution card; allowing him to destroy other player's ship and steal a resource from them. He uses this to black mail players into giving him resources, money, or a good turn position (this also creates unrest). Only Smalley did not capitulate, his ships were destroyed.
    Smalley had a slow couple of first turns, and was surrounded by Cole Train and TomunistParty. He built a town, protecting his one tile from the barbarian, and a church. He then sent most of his free meeple out exploring new tiles, this in turn creates unemployment which creates unrest.
    Allen established himself away from the other players and happily collected pineapples and cattle. With so much unrest happening among the players he spent a good deal of resources combating the natives ending the game by killing the players [this is an everyone loses scenario (except secretly not Smalley)] Allen traded resources to other players and employed natives he didn't need all to prevent a native rebellion.
    Turn 5-Finish
    Smalley unveils that he is the insurgent and will win the game if a rebellion happens. He spends his next few turns taxing repeatedly (gaining him money and sowing unrest) and purchasing evolution cards, such as Pyramid, that give him victory points and sow unrest.
    Cole Train convinces the other players to funnel him resources so that he can buy evolution cards to combat the unrest. He also had established several markets within his colony and was trading resources very quickly, amassing large amounts of money.
    Allen purchased the "pope" evolution card, and could reduce unrest based on the number of churches in the whole archipelago. This effectively ended Smalley's chance to win through rebellion.
    T struggled to grow but managed to build a town on a wood tile.
    Tomunist collected all the fish except 2, trading it to the markets for cash. He also built churches and markets but the game ended right before he could build a town on his wood rich tile.

Three resources were completely used from the bank triggering Allen's secret end-game condition.
    The Scoring Victory Conditions
    Public: Have the most money >1st Cole, 2nd Tom, 3rd Smalley
    Secret: Have the most money >1st Cole, 2nd Tom, 3rd Smalley
    Secret: Have the most fish > 1st Tom, 2nd T and Smalley
    Secret: Have towns on wooded tile > 1st T and Smalley, n/a
    Secret: Keep unrest low > Allen failed so no Victory points were awarded

Victory Points from Evolution Cards
    Cole, 2
    Smalley, 2
    Allen, 1

Total Scores:
    Smalley 10 (winner)
    Cole 9
    Tomunist 8
    T 5
    Allen 1

• 11-12 game is on. Some of the HBG game 1 players want to return but there are still spots open.
    The 11-12 date may shift to 11-13, but that is TBA.

We also are recruiting for 11-10 game of Dune. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_WINTqtjo)
    If you have never played it is the most fun you will have alienating people and ruining friendships. If you are interested, just Roll a D20 in the chat.

• Judge

Tom, I just realized I'll be running games at Nerdlouvia on November 10th. So, if we did it, we would need to do it after I finish that (I think my game is from 2-6 PM) or reschedule?

• Judge

/roll 1d20

• Bot

1d20: [5] = 5

• If I shifted the HBG night to Wednesdays would that be better for you Mike/Nerds? I am fine with not starting till 6pm on Sunday, but be ready to play at 6pm (don't be a newb), we will have food. Need 3 more people to play a decent game of DUNE.

• Judge

@TomunistParty said in Hardcore Board Games:

If I shifted the HBG night to Wednesdays would that be better for you Mike/Nerds? I am fine with not starting till 6pm on Sunday, but be ready to play at 6pm (don't be a newb), we will have food. Need 3 more people to play a decent game of DUNE.

Well the game I’m running ends at 6. So may just need to reschedule. Is there another weekend?

• Judge

@Mike said in Hardcore Board Games:

reschedule

@TomunistParty let's just reschedule since I won't be able to play until after 6 (not AT 6) and we don't have a full crew.

@westlemania639 has expressed interest, so maybe we can get something going in the next week or two.

• Knight Dungeon Master

Just let me know, I've been wanting to give Dune a shoot lately

• Next HBG is DUNE, 11-20-19 at 6pm.

1-2 spots are open.

• HBG Game 2 breakdown
    By popular demand Archipelago, 5 players

Current Champion Smalley
    smalley.jpg

Players win by receiving victory points based on one Public Victory Condition and each players' Secret Victory condition.

Public Victory Condition: Have the most workers.

TomunistParty (Secret Victory condition: have the most churches) YELLOW
    Smalley (Secret Victory condition: cause the natives to kill the players through unrest) BLUE
    Allen (Secret Victory condition: Have the most ports with fish on the same tile) GREEN
    T (Secret Victory condition: Have the most money) PURPLE
    Cole Train (Secret Victory condition: Have the most ports) RED

Turn 1
    The Players explore the Archipelago creating a lagoon area. Only TomunistParty is not connected to the mainland. Allen and Cole buy/breed workers. The Crisis card was beneficial to the players and so no workers rebelled.
    1.jpg
    Turn 2
    Every player builds a port, T also builds a town, and TomunistParty builds a town and church. Allen and Cole focus on positioning their workers for collecting resources and Smalley buys and then breeds several workers. Players trade resources between each other to accomplish their building goals. An offer is made to exchange money for viewing another player's victory condition, but its denied. TomunistParty buys the "Merchant" evolution card, allowing him to trade one type of resource in mass and at the best price.
    Again the crisis card was beneficial to the players so no workers rebelled, because of this the Domestic market was well stocked with goods making prices low and increasing unemployment.
    2.jpg
    Turn 3
    Players begin to collect a great deal of resources and trading them on the foreign market using their ports. T harvests fish and redeploys her workers. Allen and Smalley Harvest stone. Cole builds a town, explores and redeploys his workforce. TomunistParty harvests fish, stone and iron then uses his "merchant" to make a very valuable fish trade on the foreign market. Smalley purchases the "Dictator" evolution card, allowing him to stand up his rebelling workforce in exchange for creating unrest. Smalley shows TomunistParty his secret victory condition in exchange for seeing TomunistParty's. "I'll show you mine if you show me yours."
    3.jpg
    Turn 3 (cont.)
    A large dong attacks the Archipelago.
    4.jpg
    Turn 4
    Smalley wins the turn order bid. During the Crisis, many of the goods that had stocked up in the domestic market were used by Smalley to stand up all the rebelling workers belonging to all other player, but not his own. No one else willing or able to spend resources to stand up Smalley's workers, adding 9 unrest. Going first Smalley uses Dictator to stand up his workers, adding 2 more to unrest. It becomes apparent that Smalley once again can win by getting the natives to kill the players through unrest. Allen harvests wood and stone, trading some on the domestic and foreign market making a good deal of money, he also uses his ship to explore a new section of the board. TomunistParty build 2 churches.
    Cole build a market and purchases the Colossus card for its victory points.
    colossos.jpg .
    Allen purchases the Cathedral
    cathedral.jpg
    TomunistParty Purchases the Lighthouse
    lighthouse.jpg
    5.jpg
    Turn 5
    Smalley again wins the turn order bid. During the crisis Smalley repeats the past performance adding a great deal of unrest to the worker track. Smalley also prevents Cole's worker in his town from standing and several of TomunistParty's workers from standing. Smalley having built a good number of towns to keep other players out of certain regions, makes a deal with Allen; Allen is allowed to work the resource in his tile in perpetuity, in exchange he shows Smalley his victory condition. Allen agrees.
    T moves her workers into the tile with Cole's town and a rebelling meeple, and she takes the town over for herself; gaining ownership of its port and market. T harvests a good deal of stone and fish and builds another port and church.
    Cole buys workers and collects iron. He then uses those resources to build his colossus. This reduces unemployment witch is at critical levels.
    Allen collects stone using those resources to build his cathedral. This reduces unrest which is at critical levels.
    TomunistParty trades with Smalley to get iron, using that resource to build his lighthouse. This gives him 2 more useless ship.
    The game ends when Smalley builds the 8th port (this was T's end game condition).
    6.jpg

End game
    Victory Points from Evolution Cards
    Cole, 1
    Allen, 2
    TomunistParty, 1

VPs.jpg

Total Scores:
    T 12 (winner)
    Tomunist 11
    Allen 9
    Smalley 8