Characters

• Post details about your character in this thread. A description of your appearance. Any noteworthy characteristics and a brief set of goals.

• My guy is Luc, smuggler/wizard. I suppose I should have taken my character sheet since I borrowed Salyer's DCC book and I could have fleshed out my character. I'm hoping he'll rely on his intelligence and personality to be on the more diplomatic end of the group, which was why I learned comprehend languages rather than sleep when the choice was mine. I figured Dixon's wizard might be a bit more on the combat side and we have the tank in Steve Holt.

John, what sort of setting is this? It seemed to sort of have a Middle Eastern aesthetic, but I know you mentioned it being Conan-esque, so are we from that area or somewhere else or is it just kind of anything goes?

C

• I think it's a Stygian style setting. Kind of Egyptian in nature with sorcerer-kings running the show. Worship Set (snakes and stuff).

My dude is a native Stygian (or whatever the equivalent area is) named Kershey Hiss. He's short and lithe, receding black hair pulled into a fading glory with a scraggly beard. He usually wears traditional desert robes cinched at the waist and desert turban.

Currently his goals are to find and question/murder the Vizier that tossed us all into the crypts. His other goals are MYSTERIOOOOUS, because he's a mysterious wizard.

• I updated the History thread with some background information.

Its not exactly Robert E Howard's Hyborian age. Its my own version of it.

There is a City-state called Klind where the Set Worshipers come from. They have a Middle Eastern feel also.

• I'll be from Vornheim in the north, thinking sort of the trader who has ventured far and is the odd man out.

• Kershy is from Klind.

• @no1raddad did Kershey go in with Mogmalu as his patron?

• @no1raddad very myyyyysterious. ..

• @sellanraa does Luc have something he specializes in smuggling?

• Morne (neutral thief) is shortish and sturdy, w/ a long torso but shorter, stubby limbs, blunt fingers, and Flintstone feet. His hair is dark, straight and bowl cut.

He was a (the?) charioteer for the Prince, and was well shaped and mentally suited to the task. He liked the repetitive, technical quality of the work, although he wouldn't be able to articulate that in any way.

Morne will be changing his name, he just doesn't know what it will be. His old life is over - he was committed to the underworld, and has emerged on the other side a new man, and a new man needs a new name.

He holds no grudge against society or the Prince for his "death" and interment - that's how society works, and any duplicity on the Prince's part was paid for when he actually died.

A newly reborn freeman, w/ the whole world spread before him. If only he could think of a name...

• @Cosmic-J Morne would have been a charioteer for the Prince. He would have competed in Arena Games. Perhaps not the greatest, but he was there.

Why the name change? Is this like Spiderman? You need to protect Aunt May and MJ?

• Name change is symbolic. He's been through the underworld, and survived. Not particularly philosophical, he sees himself as having been interred in the land of the dead, and crawled out the other side. Like, literally. Also, they might be looking for "Morne", and try to throw him back in that hole...

AND he's the one character I didn't expect to survive the funnel, so I made no real effort in naming him. :)

In ye olden dayz, we didn't bother to name characters until they hit like 3rd anyway... so i'm kinda keeping w/ tradition and whatnot. All sorts of reasons, really.

• @Cosmic-J said in Characters:

Name change is symbolic. He's been through the underworld, and survived. Not particularly philosophical, he sees himself as having been interred in the land of the dead, and crawled out the other side. Like, literally. Also, they might be looking for "Morne", and try to throw him back in that hole...

AND he's the one character I didn't expect to survive the funnel, so I made no real effort in naming him. :)

In ye olden dayz, we didn't bother to name characters until they hit like 3rd anyway... so i'm kinda keeping w/ tradition and whatnot. All sorts of reasons, really.

Sounds good!

• @Judge_John As far as plans go, I posted this elsewhere, but for ease of use:

After washing the grime of the underworld off in the ocean, we need food and shelter first. Morne-is-my-slave-name will most likely want to hit up the stables near the Colosseum for horses and transport, so that we can travel elsewhere. I can forge documents, so that might be handy, and I have the scribe's writing kit. After that, a big score of loot is what's on his mind.

That said, he's very much a follower by nature, so if the group comes up w/ something more specific, he'll likely go along w/ that. He has no real anger at the vizier, but wouldn't be opposed to grabbing some of that fat loot.

So, food and shelter, maybe a quick robbery/score for money, steal some horses and get out of town are his immediate thoughts. He's likely to jump on any opportunities for wealth that present themselves, however.

Any rich, fat merchants in town, rumored to have a lot of wealth? I probably met a few of them in service to the Prince. I also have a "Treasure map" that my freebooter character had on his equipment list. Probably look at that to see if it's bogus or not, might lead to something worthwhile.

• Ludo - Soldier / Warrior
    Appearance
    Average build and height. Ludo has a short cropped military haircut and dark complexion.
    He wields a spear and shield. A long sword and 10-feet of chain are fastened by his waist.
    Small scars across his body from hard living are hidden underneath his leather armor. His brown eyes have dark ashy circles around them as a reminder from when he was once cursed with a burning blindness.
    Overall, I imagine him like Greyworm from Game of Thrones
    Grey Worm

Goals

• Vengeance against the Vizier
    • Become a World-Renowned Soldier/Mercenary/Warrior

Biography
    Ludo was born and raised in Al Hazruun. At an early age, he was conscripted under the Mad Sultan's legion and was grateful to be of service as an arm of the once mighty empire's strength. His attitude mostly governed by the fact that his alternative would most likely involve slaving away under whip and lash within the Salt Mines.

Of no discernible strengths or weaknesses, Ludo would often go unnoticed within his unit. He preferred it this way. A poor soldier was often eliminated from the troops and a successful one was often put under greater scrutiny from his or her jealous peers.

Had he not noticed the Blood Prince that drunken night, his life may have continued on in its dull mediocrity. As he was lowered into the catacombs with the other accused, he wished he could have burned his eyes out for being dealt such a foul deal. However, surviving the horrors that lay below Al Hazruun has provided him a new perspective.

He and his new companions will carry on. No longer appeased by getting by, Ludo plans to live what little life he has left to the fullest. First, though, he intends to thank the architect of his new perspective by enacting vengeance on the Vizier that sentenced him to death.

• @JBKaderi Daaaaaang, Justin went all out.

• @JBKaderi nice work. I love Grey Worm. Since Ludo is from All Hazruun you will know people in the city. People you trust. Who are those people? Former brothers in arms? Relatives? Someone else?

• @Judge_John I don't know if there is a particular limit but three ideas I might say would be:

• A Local Mercenary Leader
      Sometimes the military can't be seen performing some of the seedier needs of Al Hazruun.
      In these cases Ludo had tagged along with his superiors to contract the Merc and his company to perform the wet-work, defame a prominent figure, or other unsavory acts that can't be traced to the Mad Sultan

• A Criminal Informant
      As a soldier, Ludo is used to maintaining order (or at the very least, the semblance of order). Sometimes that requires knowing which criminal threats to bring to justice and which to nurture as allies. Ludo has fostered a quid pro quo relationship with such a figure and last he recalls, that informant still owes him a favor for helping crackdown an opposing competition.

• The Yoon Suin Trader
      Ludo's regiment has often been called to patrol the docks east of Al Hazruun alongside the Blood Sea. Mostly just as a military display, there are occasions in which cargo searches are demanded to ensure no contraband is brought along. In one such raid, Ludo discovered that a Yoon Suin Trader's ship was smuggling people and/or undocumented artifacts into Hüborea. For a price, he was able to look away for the Trader and distract his fellow company from discovering. He had worked to continue communication with the trader. Ludo would warn the Trader which days would not be advisable to come to certain ports near Al Hazruun and the Trader would be sure to leave something special for him as a thank you.

• @JBKaderi Perfect!

the criminal is your brother(!) Aminu. Where Ludo kept his head down and did what was expected of him. Aminu cut corners, taking the easier road of breaking the law. You've gotten him out of hot water in the past, he definitely owes you!

The sailor from Yoon Suin, is named Azhar the Angry. He is a tough sumbitch. Rumor has it he is Half-Atlantean. Ludo most likely thinks the legends of Atlantis are fairy tales and lies.

The Mercenary Leader is named Irrfan Khan. His been to the Wastelands and lived to tell the tale. But he lost many men on that excursion. He was never the same after that.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.