Brock and the Long Journey to Thay

• Dungeon Master

@swoooo

Brock during his long travel to Thay, keeps the box and the Mask of Kings close to him, while continually watching Thordak to see if he regains his strength and the abilities he once possessed. If he regains his old abilities, Brock will hand Thordak his axe so he can once again "split the earth" as he told him it would. When the party is a few days from Thay (like two or three) Brock would like to sit with Thordak and discuss the plan upon entering Thay.

Brock would say "Thordak, upon entering into the lion's den, as it were, what will you do, we know that Finn is aware of your impending arrival, so your ability to stay hidden and get close to the Skeletal hand will be slim, while the party and myself's ability has been raised by the acquisition of the 5 robes that we have acquired. As you have told me Finn is one who had no magical ability, yet has risen to the heights of Zukir, and the reverence and openness that he seems to have for all people, it is my belief that he would take great interest in another, such as myself, with no magical ability potentially ascending through the Citadel, my question is your thoughts, this box and the mask begin to weigh on me, I feel chained, held back, unable to become who I once was, my mind is being shaped and it scares me, the burden that you held onto for so long, I have only known for a few days, I cannot begin to understand what it did to you as it has already done so much to me. But what shall I do, holding onto this mask hinders me but it protects the rest of the party, if I do not have my full strength when we enter the Citadel then I find myself a hindrance as opposed to a compatriot, but I will hold these chains if it is what I must do, for the betterment of you, for the betterment of the party, I ask what does your wisdom impart on this?

If on the other hand Thordak stall in regaining his health, and it has caused permanent damage, Brock will seek out Thordak and ask "what must I do with the mask, as mystrength and abilities are all that I have, I cannot squander them for a mere object I have no affinity too, it seems to have shaped you and while I wish that on no man, I cannot maintain this burden much longer, the Red Wizards of Thay are already skeptical enough of a non-magic user in their ranks, one who is chained could only be worse, I must be a full strength, so I must return this mask or give it to another."

• Board Member

Thordak seems to have become less sickly and weak, but still is unable to regain his strength. You, on the other hand, after a few days with the mask, are starting to feel it drawing the strength from your arms.

As far as you can tell, this mask is a contagion, spreading its weakness to whomever it touches. Perhaps the best course of action is to let Thordak bear the burden alone? Or perhaps you wish to spend longer with the mask to see what further effects it has?

• Dungeon Master

I get the feeling that Thordak cannot bare the burden much longer, he was sickly and weak last we saw him, (Am I right in assuming Thordak has had this mask in his possession since mission 1, so he has had it for a very long time whereas I will only hold it for a short amount of time. I will hold onto it until I feel that I cannot do so anymore, but ask Thordak what the plan is when we get to the citadel, I cannot go around carrying this, nor can he realistically walk around at all. I will convey the message I typed above to him.

"Thordak, upon entering into the lion's den, as it were, what will you do, we know that Finn is aware of your impending arrival, so your ability to stay hidden and get close to the Skeletal hand will be slim, while the party and myself's ability has been raised by the acquisition of the 5 robes that we have acquired. As you have told me Finn is one who had no magical ability, yet has risen to the heights of Zukir, and the reverence and openness that he seems to have for all people, it is my belief that he would take great interest in another, such as myself, with no magical ability potentially ascending through the Citadel, my question is your thoughts, this box and the mask begin to weigh on me, I feel chained, held back, unable to become who I once was, my mind is being shaped and it scares me, the burden that you held onto for so long, I have only known for a few days, I cannot begin to understand what it did to you as it has already done so much to me. But what shall I do, holding onto this mask hinders me but it protects the rest of the party, if I do not have my full strength when we enter the Citadel then I find myself a hindrance as opposed to a compatriot, but I will hold these chains if it is what I must do, for the betterment of you, for the betterment of the party, I ask what does your wisdom impart on this?"

I believe our plan is to return this mask to the rightful owner, a man named Jakobi as he said, do we have a lead on where he will be, and are we sure we can return this to him, if it has this affect on the likes of us, what affect will it have on a man who is not as strong as ourselves.

Basically I will hold onto the mask until we are a few days from the city and ask guidance of Thordak on where to go from here, should I attempt to regain some strength/hold onto what strength I have in order to get closer to Finn, should I leave that to the rest of the party and continue with him to find this Jakobi, what is his guidance.

• Board Member

Thordak is willing to take back the mask before you arrive at the Citadel. He is noticeably stronger right before you arrive, but is still troubled by his inability to reach his god(s). He is willing to listen to the party's counsel on next steps.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.