El Cid & The Castellan of Muntburg

• @TomunistParty

We sort of glossed over El Cid visiting the castellan the morning after arriving. His name is Thevenin Verodart. We can roleplay it out quickly via the forum.

Generally, you can the castellan at the Great Hall where he holds audiences and meets with dignitaries, checking in on the soldiers around the fortress, or in his personal chambers. On the morning before you head to Dwimmermount, you find him meeting with one of his scouts in the Great Hall. Thevenin wears a simple doublet, breeches, and sturdy boots. But, his Thulian heritage is apparent. Though he looks to have seen many winters, his dark hair peppered with gray, he appears to be in excellent physical condition. A younger man with long black hair pulled back wearing plate armor stands beside him. The younger man's badge seems to indicate he is Captain of the Guard.

Thevenin: Amyon, no doubt this orcish activity on the slopes of Dwimmermount is due to these recent disturbances.

Amyon: Lord, I'm not sure, but I suggest we double the scouts near Dwimmermount.

Thevenin (nodding): Captain Vaast, make sure Amyon has the men required. Also, put out word that information these newly arrived adventurers provide about any orcs in the area will be rewarded in coin.

The man in plate armor is Captain Alixandre Vaast you would learn.

Vaast: Yes, lord.

Thevenin dismisses them and motions for you to approach.

Thevenin: Good morning. I am told you are newly arrived and requested an audience. What can I do for you?

• <I greet him with a bow, the formal way of greeting someone of his station.>
    I wish to offer my thanks, it is an honor to dorm in the keep of the noble Thevenin Verodart. My name is Rodrigo Diaz, I am known as El Cid. I come from the house of the five valleys.
    <From the bowed position I fall to one knee and lift my gaze to match his> (this is customary in high thulian, it is known as the "dance of intent")
    I am here leading a company of fools and bastards, we are going to plunder the "unkown" that lies within the Dwimmermount. We shall shit on the face of its darkness and bring glory to our houses.
    <I wink at him> (high thulian often causes declarations of intent to be "over the top," so nobles often wink to show they aren't as dramatic as the language forces them to be.)
    <I wait for his acceptance before rising from my position>

• He sighs at your dance. You can tell his many years of soldiering and bitter winters has dulled his interest in the theatrics of the city-states. But, he concedes and accepts your introduction.

Thevenin: Well, met Lord Diaz of the Five Valleys. Please, rise. We are not in Adamas and I am no despot. And, if it is glory you seek, you have come to the right place. Be warned, my primary concern is upholding law in Muntburg and defending this route. I will also keep my eye on Dwimmermount and what chaos may come seeping out now that it has been opened after two hundred years of lockdown. I see Corporal Danthan has approved your writ upon arrival with Master Bynde's caravan. This is good.

He stands and paces. Motions for a servant to bring you a drink.

I have urged all the adventuring companies who've arrived - and no doubt will continue to arrive - to comply with the laws of Muntburg and cause no trouble. I would also ask, as a favor to the Despot, that information that might help protect Muntburg from dangers be brought before me. Do these things and your expeditions to Dwimmermount will not be hindered by the authority here in Muntburg.

He awaits gestures of your understanding and affirmation.

• @Mike
    <standing and becoming casual in stature, I receive the drink in hand>

What is good for you is good for me, and you may ask any favor of me. I promise, on my honor, to be your ever faithful servant and law abiding... dude.
    On that cord, I wish to further legitimize exploration of the Dwimmermount; and may only do so if you, fair lord, are willing to honor territorial claims (on entrances) made on the mount. As more companies saturate the mount I fear violence will erupt as all parties continuously cross each other's paths through entry ways each considers theirs. With a claim, an owner can determine who enters the entrance legally, all others being denied ingress or egress.
    This is subject to your judgment and so further extends your influence upon the adventurers, should they become problematic for Muntburg.

<then compliment the wine, cuz it dope>

• Thevenin: A shrewd proposition, young lord. But, also unwise. Imagine if this policy were instituted. Do you believe for a second the High Priest of Typhon would not immediately seize the opportunity to secure the entrances already discovered? Or, should the Despot himself dispatch his personal adventuring company, the Crimson Band... Do you not think the Despot would seize any entrances? No. I think that sort of monopoly would not be good, for anyone. If you wish to prevent conflict with the other adventuring parties, make peace early and often. And, if you do witness crimes against the people of Muntburg, including yourself, alert the authorities at once. The Despot has many eyes and ears throughout the province. And, there is no doubt with this sudden attention Dwimmermount is receiving his eye will turn toward here.

The castellan glances toward his servant.

For now, let us see what develops of the initial expeditions, Lord Diaz. And, if you have found an entrance others no nothing of, seal your lips.

• @Mike
    This is why you run a stronghold and I have to climb down into the earth's butt crack: foresight. Between you and me, what do you hope we find down there? What would make your position better?

• The castellan bellows out a laugh.

Thevenin: You've reminded me of my duties. Let us talk again when you've returned alive and without affliction from your first successful sortie. Enjoy the rest of your wine. It'll keep you warm momentarily on your journey.

He smiles and excuses himself.

Aaaaaand, end scene.

• @Mike
    He said "when you've returned alive and without affliction."
    Awwww, He cares. WE ARE BEST FRIENDS!

• @TomunistParty said in El Cid & The Castellan of Muntburg:

@Mike
    He said "when you've returned alive and without affliction."
    Awwww, He cares. WE ARE BEST FRIENDS!

You certainly made a first impression. :)

• @Mike
    Since we didn't get to "act this out" could you tell me if his body language indicated that he was wary of the despot. By his words it seems he isn't entirely trusting of the Despot, and would like the boon of the dwimmermount for himself.

@Mike
    Since we didn't get to "act this out" could you tell me if his body language indicated that he was wary of the despot. By his words it seems he isn't entirely trusting of the Despot, and would like the boon of the dwimmermount for himself.

It's not really something you could discern from such a brief interaction and at court. But perhaps you could with time and intimacy.

• El Cid has spent his considerable downtime playing to the court. Recanting tales of the DDs and garnering support. His ultimate goal is to find a silent investor. If there are any wealthy ladies I could seduce, I would fuck the jewels right off their necks.

Other than that I would have heard rumors in the court and gossip of the town.

• You are welcomed at the court of Muntburg. Which to be honest is a far cry from the regal courts of Volmar, the last remnant of the height of the Thulian empire, where you hail from. The Castellan seems to have taken to you, inviting you to dinners and there you've met several dignitaries, emissaries, and high priests of the great church.

A few things you've learned:

• High Priest Saidon is the patron for Typhon's Fists. He is not happy with the progress they've made and has ordered an extended expedition into the lower levels of Dwimmermount. They claim to have found a passage to a lower level called The Reliquary that is said to have been built by the Thulians to honor the gods. The Fists intend to clear sections of this area and secure an area to act as a base for their extended expedition. Though, they must contend with a so-called "Zombie Lord" that apparently dwells on this level. They seek a place called "The Temple of Law" that is rumored to have been built by ancient paladins of the eastern part of the empire.
    • The Seekers have arrived in Muntburg. Their apartments have been held for them for months now, but they have arrived and are settling in. They are led by Ysabelon of Asana, whom you've met at some of the recent banquets in the past week. She has been gifted with the ability of court and all in Muntburg are swayed by her requests. Even the Castellan seems to be taken with her and he swoons for few. You have met her and she is enough woman to convince you to take up your sword against armies for her. And, unlike some of the other court ladies, she is not vapid but incredibly well-spoken and versed in lore that makes your head spin. However, it seems she is celibate in service to Asana, and your advances have been spurned. She has offered to purchase any maps the DD may have acquired. She is often accompanied by a more homely woman named Marguerin. She is a magic-user of some sort. Quieter and clearly keen to intercept you from getting to Ysabelon. Perhaps they are lovers -- a clever trick to remain celibate in the eyes of the Great Church?
    • The ruined fort of Winterburg has been captured by a small army carrying a red banner. Some believe it is a force of mercenaries from Yethlyreom, led by The Crimson Band, and they are intending to use it as a more fortified camp to launch expeditions into Dwimmermount. There are rumors the Crimson Band is funded by the despot of Adamas, who intends to claim Dwimmermount as territory within his province to prevent other city-states from actively working inside the area. This could lead to some serious conflict.
    • Muntburg overflows with people of all types. It's quickly becoming a boom-town as treasures are brought forth from the ancient mountain. However, many believe a lot of the newcomers are also admirers of Turms Termax, and you've even seen several street sermons heralding the return of Turms to restore the empire to its glorious heights. This has disturbed the court greatly and the Castellan has found small charges to imprison the street preachers. However, he can't detain them indefinitely and he believes making it illegal to preach the word of Turms outright will only lead to a deeper underground and make it harder to identify who is actually a Termaxian. Many in court whisper to each other about secret, nighttime activities of others they believe to be Termaxian cultists.

As for financiers, you find a few possible candidates willing to hear your terms:

• The Lord Mayor Lategnem of Retep City to the north. The lord mayor is a rival of the despot of Adamas and fears Dwimmermount may fall under the control of Adamas and lead to the despot attempting to conquer Retep and attempting to form the beginnings of a new empire. His emissary in Muntburg is Lord Belifod Highbarrow and he has agreed to hear you out.
    • You've been banging Elsi Myndwine, the wife of a powerful noble from Adamas named Arbeq Myndwine who seems to have vast wealth and has taken a personal interest in Dwimmermount. She believes she can set up a meeting with you and her husband and help convince him to finance the DDs.
    • A mysterious elf known as Indwin Nirmalan. You've seen her at court in the background, only in brief snippets. She has recently taken an interest in you and your closeness to the Castellan and has approached you briefly to learn of the DDs. She is interested in your proposal for a financier, but needs to hear more at a meeting with the leaders of the DDs.

• @Mike
    I decline the meeting with Elsi's husband. El Cid never mixes business with pleasure.

Definitely want to arrange a meeting with Lord Mayor Lategnem's proxy Highbarrow.

I will invite the Nirmalan to meet with the leader's of the DDs.

@Mike
    I decline the meeting with Elsi's husband. El Cid never mixes business with pleasure.

Definitely want to arrange a meeting with Lord Mayor Lategnem's proxy Highbarrow.

I will invite the Nirmalan to meet with the leader's of the DDs.

Is El Cid going on the next expedition to Dwimmermount?

• @Mike
    While in town, I spend most of my loot on fine dinners and clothes. Was there any jewelry in the last haul, other than the magic ring?

Ill set up a meeting with Nirmalan, Midol, Humphrey, Bren, The Black, Francios and myself. She can meet us before we head to camp Tyche.

I want to meet the Highbarrow while in town. Wine and dine him and hear what he has to say.

Ill set up a meeting with Nirmalan, Midol, Humphrey, Bren, The Black, Francios and myself. She can meet us before we head to camp Tyche.
    I want to meet the Highbarrow while in town. Wine and dine him and hear what he has to say.

Do me a favor and set up a new thread for each meeting and we'll handle there. Tag each of them with Dwimmertalk.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.