New Weapon Damage Houserule

• I'm going to make weapon damage a little more uniform across weapons. Your weapon damage may have changed so please note for next session. These new damage categories also coincide with the inventory rules I just posted.

Melee

d4

Throwing 1-Handed (3 to 1 stone in sheath slot)
    • dagger
    • dart
    • javelin

d6

1-Handed (1 in sheath slot); can be wielded in offhand for fighting with two weapons (+1 to attack)
    • hand axe
    • club
    • flail
    • light hammer
    • mace
    • light pick
    • short sword
    • blackjack
    • garrote

d8 or d10

1.5-Handed (1 stone in scabbard or strap slot); 1d8 or 1d10 if used 2-Handed
    • battle axe
    • longsword
    • bastard sword
    • scimitar
    • warhammer
    • quarterstaff
    • spear
    • trident

d10

2-Handed (1 stone in scabbard or strap slot); counts as wielding two weapons (+1 attack)
    • heavy flail
    • lance
    • morningstar
    • heavy pick
    • polearm
    • two-handed sword (greatsword)

Missiles

d4

1-handed (can fit 1 in sheath)
    • hand crossbow*
    • sling

d6

2-handed (can fit in strap slot - no stone)
    • shortbow

d8

2-handed (1 stone in strap slot)
    • light crossbow*
    • longbow

d10

2-handed (1 stone in strap slot)
    • heavy crossbow*

*Crossbows fire every other round

• @Mike
    Is it possible to fire (but not reload) a light crossbow with a sheild/ in shield wall?

If fighting with two one handed weapons, if the off hand weapon was a dagger and the main weapon a battle axe, does the char get the +1 attack for the battle axe. If so, would the char get a higher bonus wielding two battle axes?

• @TomunistParty said in New Weapon Damage Houserule:

@Mike
    Is it possible to fire (but not reload) a light crossbow with a sheild/ in shield wall?

If fighting with two one handed weapons, if the off hand weapon was a dagger and the main weapon a battle axe, does the char get the +1 attack for the battle axe. If so, would the char get a higher bonus wielding two battle axes?

No, crossbows, including light, require two hands to aim and fire properly. I might let someone fire a light crossbow one-handed, but at a penalty to hit though.

We could introduce a 1d4 damage "hand crossbow" found in modern iterations of D&D, that fires smaller bolts.

• @TomunistParty said in New Weapon Damage Houserule:

Sorry, didn't see this one.

You get +1 to attack when fighting with two weapons or when fighting with a two-handed weapon (not a one-handed weapon used two-handed). In order to fight with two weapons, one has to be a light or small one-handed weapon (dagger, shortsword, etc.). You still get one attack either way.

You may use whichever weapon stats you prefer when fighting with two weapons. For example, if I have a battle axe and a +1 dagger, I might choose to use the battle axe (1d8) stats against most enemies, but the dagger stats (1d4+1) against enemies only hit by magical weapons.

• @Mike

Makes sense. Thanks.

Hand crossbows sound Dope.

• Let's add hand crossbow. Same cost as light crossbow, but can be wielded with 1 hand and does 1d4 damage. Fires every other round (reload) like other crossbows.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.