New Weapon Damage Houserule

• I'm going to make weapon damage a little more uniform across weapons. Your weapon damage may have changed so please note for next session. These new damage categories also coincide with the inventory rules I just posted.

Melee

d4

Throwing 1-Handed (3 to 1 stone in sheath slot)
    • dagger
    • dart
    • javelin

d6

1-Handed (1 in sheath slot); can be wielded in offhand for fighting with two weapons (+1 to attack)
    • hand axe
    • club
    • flail
    • light hammer
    • mace
    • light pick
    • short sword
    • blackjack
    • garrote

d8 or d10

1.5-Handed (1 stone in scabbard or strap slot); 1d8 or 1d10 if used 2-Handed
    • battle axe
    • longsword
    • bastard sword
    • scimitar
    • warhammer
    • quarterstaff
    • spear
    • trident

d10

2-Handed (1 stone in scabbard or strap slot); counts as wielding two weapons (+1 attack)
    • heavy flail
    • lance
    • morningstar
    • heavy pick
    • polearm
    • two-handed sword (greatsword)

Missiles

d4

1-handed (can fit 1 in sheath)
    • hand crossbow*
    • sling

d6

2-handed (can fit in strap slot - no stone)
    • shortbow

d8

2-handed (1 stone in strap slot)
    • light crossbow*
    • longbow

d10

2-handed (1 stone in strap slot)
    • heavy crossbow*

*Crossbows fire every other round

• @Mike
    Is it possible to fire (but not reload) a light crossbow with a sheild/ in shield wall?

If fighting with two one handed weapons, if the off hand weapon was a dagger and the main weapon a battle axe, does the char get the +1 attack for the battle axe. If so, would the char get a higher bonus wielding two battle axes?

• @TomunistParty said in New Weapon Damage Houserule:

@Mike
    Is it possible to fire (but not reload) a light crossbow with a sheild/ in shield wall?

If fighting with two one handed weapons, if the off hand weapon was a dagger and the main weapon a battle axe, does the char get the +1 attack for the battle axe. If so, would the char get a higher bonus wielding two battle axes?

No, crossbows, including light, require two hands to aim and fire properly. I might let someone fire a light crossbow one-handed, but at a penalty to hit though.

We could introduce a 1d4 damage "hand crossbow" found in modern iterations of D&D, that fires smaller bolts.

• @TomunistParty said in New Weapon Damage Houserule:

Sorry, didn't see this one.

You get +1 to attack when fighting with two weapons or when fighting with a two-handed weapon (not a one-handed weapon used two-handed). In order to fight with two weapons, one has to be a light or small one-handed weapon (dagger, shortsword, etc.). You still get one attack either way.

You may use whichever weapon stats you prefer when fighting with two weapons. For example, if I have a battle axe and a +1 dagger, I might choose to use the battle axe (1d8) stats against most enemies, but the dagger stats (1d4+1) against enemies only hit by magical weapons.

• @Mike

Makes sense. Thanks.

Hand crossbows sound Dope.

• Let's add hand crossbow. Same cost as light crossbow, but can be wielded with 1 hand and does 1d4 damage. Fires every other round (reload) like other crossbows.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.