Slur Without Number

• Judge

@Jonathan-Meadows @Judge_John @Jackson

Thinking about a shared universe, ala Pinebox, for Stars Without Number. I think I'm more keen to run something like that at SYR going forward (kind of burnt out on 5E).

@Judge_John and I were brainstorming some ideas. We were thinking each DM has control of a planet or two, moons, asteroids, starbases, etc.

To kick it off, we were thinking maybe a featured game.

Thoughts?

• I think that's a great idea, shared universes have worked out really well. I don't know anything about the game (yet) but i'm pretty burnt out on D&D too.

• Dungeon Master

This would be badass. I'd be in for this.

• Judge

@Praetorius said in Slur Without Number:

This would be badass. I'd be in for this.

Interested in running it with us?

• Dungeon Master

@Mike Definitely!

• Judge

@Praetorius said in Slur Without Number:

@Mike Definitely!

Sweeeet. I think we were planning a couple session run to familiarize ourselves with the rules a bit. Let's see what @Jackson and @Judge_John says.

• I've found that with a shared universe, all you need is to get that one player invested that will tell all of their friends about it and get other players interested, like Conan in D&D or Jacub in Call of Cthulhu.

• Judge

Agreed!

• It's a great idea. I think SWN is a good system for this. It is familiar enough for DnD vets, chargen and rules are easy, etc.
    It seems to me that the challenge for an episodic shared outer space campaign is how the characters get from one GM's sector to another. If every character has her own spaceship, then they get get anywhere but it causes other hassles. Other options:

1. Teleporters (Star Trek transporters etc)
    2. A central space station that is like the border town in a West Marches campaign. At the end of a session, everyone has to return to the space station, where they can sell their loot, upgrade their cyber, etc and meet up for the next adventure.
    3. Each GM area has its own spaceport, and there is cheap commercial space travel between spaceports.

• Judge

@AndyB Yeah, I was leaning toward each person has their own spaceship that is shitty at first but can be upgraded over time, ala Destiny (video game) or something.

Mostly, just because that's cool as fuck.

• @Mike Everybody is going to want their own spaceship anyway. But then you either have a convoy of spaceships, or figure out whose spaceship everyone will ride in.

• Judge

@AndyB said in Slur Without Number:

@Mike Everybody is going to want their own spaceship anyway. But then you either have a convoy of spaceships, or figure out whose spaceship everyone will ride in.

I'd make them smaller personal ships (slightly bigger than X-wings or something?) and just have everyone arrive in their ship prior to star to session. Convoy could be cool too.

"What's your ship formation?"

0_1490107139335_wu1g4l0o5trck3hagh13.gif

• @Mike That has the added advantage that everyone can participate when there is a space battle. I don't know how well SWN supports everyone being a pilot, but that can be worked around: if you don't have pilot skill, you get mediocre stats using the ship's computer or something.

• @Mike said in Slur Without Number:

@AndyB said in Slur Without Number:

@Mike Everybody is going to want their own spaceship anyway. But then you either have a convoy of spaceships, or figure out whose spaceship everyone will ride in.

I'd make them smaller personal ships (slightly bigger than X-wings or something?) and just have everyone arrive in their ship prior to star to session. Convoy could be cool too.

"What's your ship formation?"

0_1490107139335_wu1g4l0o5trck3hagh13.gif

That sounds awesome. The prospects of having a space battle are cool. Does the game include those rules?

• Judge

@Jonathan-Meadows Not sure. Haven't looked at it in a while. It's a free PDF though if you want to skim over the rules.

• Dungeon Master

I was thinking more along the lines of each DM represents a ship, that way each"crew" can easily have a thru line and we could maybe engender some friendly competition between pcs

• That's not a bad idea. Each GM claims a larger vessel with it's own crew and PCs can use ships to move from planet to planet. Passage could be secured aboard a ship by making payment to the captain or by agreeing to perform some request for the captain/crew. Each ship would be entirely unique and might have a set route it travels.

I'd love to have a ship like the Serenity that might transport players to developing worlds with a wild west flavor.

• Dungeon Master

In the rules, Maintenance of a starship is hugely expensive, and it's a good hook to the whole sandbox feel

• Judge

@Jackson said in Slur Without Number:

I was thinking more along the lines of each DM represents a ship, that way each"crew" can easily have a thru line and we could maybe engender some friendly competition between pcs

That's a neat idea. The issue is you still have that whole ship-jumping instead of port-jumping. What if the home base was just one big ship shared between the different GMs and to stay aboard you had to give a share of your loot each adventure?

• Ven

Why not allow interstellar travel through some ancient (and long-lost) alien technology that consist of a network of Portals linking all major planets? Planetary capital cities have grow up around these Portals and each is jealously guarded and controlled by whoever is in power. You can charge tolls for their use from PCs to skim off excess cash or even forbid them from using them on any given planet if they run afoul of local law.

As an added bonus, PCs can later find as-yet-undiscovered Portals on distant, forgotten planets and the whole alien culture that built the Portals can lay as a backdrop and mystery for the campaign. Perhaps travel by Starship is hugely inefficient and slow compared to Portal travel and finding a way to incorporate Portal technology and Starship drives is the Holy Grail of PC goals?

Users

Topics