New Proposal for Distribution of XP

• Last night we brought up issues about character death. I'm proposing we tweak the way XP works in regard to backups. My concern is a higher level TPK, individual characters lagging behind, and other issues we discussed last night disrupting the campaign flow. I'd rather character deaths and/or TPK not reset the campaign.

Here's my proposal that I think solves our concerns:

When you spend gold to purchase XP, all of your characters get an equal amount of XP.

In other words, your primary and backups will always have the same amount of XP. In this sense, XP represents the fight for the glory of your squad within the company.

If you are forced to roll up new characters, they would start with an equal amount of XP.

If your character dies, you still lose out on that adventure's haul, but you don't "reset" to Level 1 (or whatever). Instead, you can immediately bring a backup in, perhaps with less gear, etc., that has roughly the same XP as the rest of the party. If there is a TPK, the whole campaign doesn't reset to 1st level. Instead, just the gear and items those previous characters were carrying is lost (a huge loss).

If this rule were instituted, we would reconcile previous XP totals among each player. For example, if one of your characters has 250 XP and another has 1,500 XP, your new "total" would be 1,750 XP and all of your characters would increase to that amount.

This also solves an issue that might arise at higher levels where a player misses a session and suddenly the 5th to 7th level party has to bring in their 1st level Cleric backup to replace the 6th level Cleric of the missing player. Instead, all of the backups should be roughly of that level.

I also very much like the vibe of players being willing to switch among their various characters as the expedition and needs of the party dictates. I foresee this willingness decreasing as the disparity among the XP their characters grows. This solves that problem. All characters will be roughly of the same power level and the XP you earn goes to each character in your stable.

This may seem too generous (I know y'all hate that), but I think it's the best approach. The added bonus for me is, psychologically, this means I don't have to worry about pulling punches. A high level TPK can occur and not totally destroy the campaign. Sweet.

Any objections to this approach?

• Per our earlier discussions of the pros and cons, I wholeheartedly endorse this proposal.

• Dungeon Master

This sounds fine, but I'll offer the first complication:. As Cade adventures, Dondel Belldeem is reading the Arto Bellumoi, and presuming he understands it, he'd then have higher XP than Cade and there'd come a time when he would be the higher level. Is that fine?

This will make us mix and match the party makeup more, which I like.

• @Jackson said in New Proposal for Distribution of XP:

This sounds fine, but I'll offer the first complication:. As Cade adventures, Dondel Belldeem is reading the Arto Bellumoi, and presuming he understands it, he'd then have higher XP than Cade and there'd come a time when he would be the higher level. Is that fine?

This will make us mix and match the party makeup more, which I like.

Right! There still might not be exact equality for special circumstances like that or some of item that grants levels or XP, but you'll be roughly in the same ballpark.

And remember, not every class will be the same XP to level, so "levels" will always be mixed. And multiclass dudes will be behind. Etc.

The main thing is the XP earned from treasure goes equally amongst all your dudes do you don't completely reset when someone dies.

• Should we retcon our other guys?

• @JohnY said in New Proposal for Distribution of XP:

Should we retcon our other guys?

Yes if no one has any objections.

Determine how much XP in total you have. Make all characters equal to that.

As @Jackson noted, El Cid would have 500 more than @TomunistParty's other characters because of the special tome. Otherwise, should be equal.

• If anyone levels up because of this, wait until the beginning of next session to roll HD for hit points.

• @Mike

Yes, both Midol and my elven thief, Spindle, would level.

• @JohnY said in New Proposal for Distribution of XP:

@Mike

Yes, both Midol and my elven thief, Spindle, would level.

Sweet. We'll roll for them next session.

• @Mike
    Sweet.

• With @JohnY @TomunistParty @Jackson and myself onboard, I think it's safe to say this is official now.

If @Judge_John @Gombar or @edpfaff have any opposition or refinement ideas, please post anyway.

• I don't have a problem with generosity. Sounds good to me.

So, for example, Jorge is down to one character. If Jackson takes his seat again, and he dies, will the next character he rolls up have the same XP as Humphrey?

• @Judge_John said in New Proposal for Distribution of XP:

I don't have a problem with generosity. Sounds good to me.

So, for example, Jorge is down to one character. If Jackson takes his seat again, and he dies, will the next character he rolls up have the same XP as Humphrey?

Exactly!

There will still be a little disparity between players. Missing sessions and dying means you lose treasure / XP (such is life), but otherwise, the XP you earned will transpose across all your characters. I'm expecting this will become smaller and smaller though as the campaign transpires.

So, for XP:

Rule 1: Don't miss sessions.
    Rule 2: Don't die.

Result: Profit.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.