Session 8 - Death Treasuries are the Effing Pits!

• Notes

Mike has asked me to writeup/outline as much as I can of Tuesday's session while he's out of town and he'll clean it up when he gets back. Feel free to suggest additions and edits after I've finished.

The session began on an upbeat note with the DD's rolling for initiative against the Eldritch Bones of the defiled Temple of Mavors on level 1 -- and we won. It was all downhill from there....

PARTY

• Earry (2nd Level Dwarf Fighter) and then Reylas the Black (1st Level Human Magic-User) leveled to 2nd
    • Kuk (1st Level Human Thief)
    • Hans (2nd Level Human Fighter) and then Francis (2nd Level Human Fighter)
    • Cade Merrick (2nd Level Human Magic-User) and then Bren Holly (2nd Level Human Fighter)
    • Humphrey (1st Level Human Cleric of Donn)
    • Anomander Rake (2nd Level Human Fighter)

Outline

Searching for Hidden Treasure and the Slide into the Unknown
    Scarab Beetles make your skin crawl while Kuk gets Gaseous
    Return to Muntburg for Reinforcements
    Beating the Shit out of Orcs and Dwarven Rescue
    Mavor's Secret Stairs and Roll for Initiative.... Again!

Under construction...

Early Winter - 25th - Mid Morning: We begin in medias res with Kuk caught red-handed trying to open the secret compartment found under Mavor's altar as Six Eldritch Bones suddenly drop from their perches and advance on him. The Party wins initiative and the fighters quickly form a shield wall and slam their weapons against their shields, trying to draw the Bones' attention away from the thief. Kuk proves too quick and leaps over the altar to race past the Bones and through the parted shield wall. Humphrey brandishes his holy symbol and calls upon Donn to turn the creatures. [Note: The cleric's turn throw was very high and still no effect on the Bones. This seems to confirm Jehan of Typhon's warning that the Eldritch Bones are not undead.] Cade throws a bag of marbles over the shield wall and two of the Bones lose their footing and clatter to the floor as the other four slam into the shield wall.

A furious battle ensues and after several rounds of melee that see the fighters trading blows in the scrum, Cade bravely trying to touch foes with Shocking Grasp, Humphrey attacking with net and trident and Kuk darting about kicking at the Eldritch Bones and shooting them with arrows, the Party prevails... but at a cost of Hans and Earry both falling, mortally wounded. [Note: Hans and Earry both survive their mortal wounds checks, but will need many weeks of bed rest before they can adventure again.]

Early Winter - 25th - Noon: Anomander and Humphrey argue that the Party needs to leave Dwimmermount immediately to tend to the wounded, but Kuk lobbies for a quick look at the altar. Both Hans and Earry want to leave, as they can do no more than walk and any other wounds suffered will kill them instantly, but Kuk points out that the DDs have done all the hard work and The Fists might sweep in behind us and find whatever is under the altar, unguarded. It's a persuasive argument and we all grudgingly agree.

The altar is pushed aside and a narrow flight of stairs are discovered underneath. The steps descend roughly 15 feet to a stone passageway heading South. The passage is narrow, so narrow that heavily armored persons must turn sideways to traverse it. Kuk and Cade volunteer to check it out as Humphrey stands at the top of the stairs, ready to offer assistance, and Anomander guards the entrance to the chapel for approaching enemies while keeping an eye on the wounded.

Cade and Kuk traverse the short corridor and exit into a small room with a low ceiling. The chamber was apparently a treasury, but by the looks of it had been looted many years earlier. All that remained were a few hundred loose coins scattered about the floor and a 3-foot tall stone plinth in the very center of the room. The plinth was surmounted by a moldy satin cushion upon which rested a gold and lapis lazuli brooch shaped like a scarab beetle. Kuk began gathering coins from the flagstone floor while Cade examined the brooch. Without warning the floor gives way, plummeting Cade and Kuk down a steep stone chute into the depths of Dwimmermount below.

• Dungeon Master

@JohnY Bren Holly

• What did we end up doing with that dwarf? Is he just chilling.

• @TomunistParty

He was too wounded to question, so we left him at Camp DD until we get back.

• Thanks for doing this, @JohnY! I've had practically no service all week.

• @Mike said in Session 8 - Death Treasuries are the Effing Pits!:

Thanks for doing this, @JohnY! I've had practically no service all week.

I still plan on finishing it before next session. Been a busy week...

• @JohnY said in Session 8 - Death Treasuries are the Effing Pits!:

@Mike said in Session 8 - Death Treasuries are the Effing Pits!:

Thanks for doing this, @JohnY! I've had practically no service all week.

I still plan on finishing it before next session. Been a busy week...

I hear that!

• The final scene was taking the secret stairs behind the throne and descending and then sneaking into the guard chamber full of orcs and them noticing and attacking, yes?

• Yes, we all just move into battle.

• @Gombar said in Session 8 - Death Treasuries are the Effing Pits!:

Yes, we all just move into battle.

Excellente.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.