So about that maze...

• Re: Proposal for a Maze Marathon

Any chance of doing the maze again? I think those were some of my more memorable games most recently. Everything just seems to coalesce together into an enjoyable experience.

Also I know this is super late, but I'm not sure if we ever foind out what the arcane knowledge we got from the books from the library.

And Rinn's new powers as the new lady nine bones? xD

• @RinFaust said in So about that maze...:

Re: Proposal for a Maze Marathon

Any chance of doing the maze again? I think those were some of my more memorable games most recently. Everything just seems to coalesce together into an enjoyable experience.

Also I know this is super late, but I'm not sure if we ever foind out what the arcane knowledge we got from the books from the library.

And Rinn's new powers as the new lady nine bones? xD

Sorry dude! I got crazy busy the last few months!

Once I catch up on some shit, I'll get those item descriptions to you and we can plot a Return to the Maze of the Blue Medusa. :smile:

I don't recall who got what! @westlemania639 @Reuben might remember. But, here's the details:

Making Yourself Again, by Olarude the Grey, the Second

This tome's cover is a polished silver mirror. Its pages seem to be made of coal polished to a mirrored sheen and etched with symbols and eldritch runes.

Within you find a pretentious self-help book disguised as philosophy. It's mostly a dull read until you get to the later chapters where a bizarre form of the Clone spell is tucked away. The spell is mostly similar to the normal version, with the following exceptions:

• It only functions on the caster.
    • During the days of maturation, if the caster of the spell recites to the inert clone a positive phrase, such as "People LIKE you!" or "You WILL be skinny!", then there is a chance (50%) the clone will grow to be identical to the caster but increase one stat by 1 point related to the positive phrase (DM's judgment).
    • The material component also requires a personal memento of an embarrassing or awful situation in the caster's life that is burned up and consumed in the process of casting the spell.

The Path of the Empath: a collection of short poems, by Lhazare Brownsmitten

This "tome" is actually "written" upon the scales of a dead, but preserved, snake in a box. The scales of the snake shimmer and adjust in different light that reveals various poems in a pleasant calligraphic script.

Among the writing are many fantastic sonnets, couplets, and free verse poems that could bring a women to tears or cause a man to nod stoically, or vice versa. If carried, the poems can be read aloud to cause the effects of a Antipathy/Sympathy spell. The effects of the spell are dependent upon the lighting in the room the poem is read. A brighter room will cause a Sympathy effect while a darker room (no more than candlelight) will cause the Antipathy effect. There are 13 poems on the scales and when used for this magical effect, the poem that was read vanishes.

The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd

This "tome" is actually a slender glass case that buzzes with hundreds of bumble bees that shift and move to form runes that can be read.

Reading the bees as they shift unveils this is a copy of a story by Sue Monk Kidd about a small girl who escapes her abusive home only to find her way into a family of beekeepers who take her in. It's a fantastic story and reading it before any adventure (spend 1 downtime day) grants 2 Inspiration tokens for the next session (they go away at the end of the next session).

A Theory on the Nature of the Element Ooze, by Ghilzhain Brom

The pages of this tome are wafer thin and made of hammered gold. It is bound with platinum buckles and a strange greenish ooze-like glue.

The book contains long-winded and sometimes questionable theories on oozes and their various forms, creation, and speculates on a plane of ooze that exists somewhere outside the material plane. Some of the assertions seem easily refuted, but within there is some nuggets of brilliant insight. The final chapter unfinished and appears to be research on the demon lord Juiblex and petitioning the entity for aid in the form of oozes. There is a spell in this chapter, as follows.

Conjure Ooze

Conjuration

Level: 5
    Casting time: 1 Minute
    Range: 90 feet
    Components: V, S, M (some sort of slimy substance -- a bloody loogie would work -- as an offering to Juiblex)
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You call forth an ooze servant.

Choose an area in darkness and dampness that fills a 10-foot cube within range. An ooze, pudding, or slime of challenge rating 5 or lower emerges from the darkened area. The ooze dissolves when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends.

The ooze is friendly to you and your companions for the duration. Roll initiative for the ooze, which has its own turns. It obeys any verbal commands that you issue to it (no action required by you). If you don’t issue any commands to the ooze, it defends itself from hostile creatures but otherwise takes no actions.

If your concentration is broken, the ooze doesn’t disappear. Instead, you lose control of the ooze, it becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled ooze can’t be dismissed by you, and it disappears 1 hour after you summoned it.

At higher level

When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the challenge rating increases by 1 for each slot level above 5th.

Identifying the Calcinate of Illusion Magic, by Murky Mazerethet

This tome is written in tiny paragraphs held within amber beads that are tied into a beaded curtain. When passing through the curtain, the illusory text is revealed to a wizard and the wizard may read from the beads, which are magnified as they move closer to the naked eye.

The writing details various theorems on illusory magic in a high-browed manner with many phrases like "proper illusionists" and often derides the common illusionist. Each bead is a particle of knowledge that when read is consumed, the text vanishing. It requires 100 downtime days to read the entirety of the beaded curtain.

When completed, the wizard reading the knowledge gains a secondary arcane tradition of Illusion in addition to whatever previous tradition they chose (they may use both). If the wizard's tradition was Illusion already, then a second tradition may be selected because of the ease at which the illusionist can use illusory magic.

This item can be used once and then the magic is gone and the beaded curtain becomes just a cool-looking beaded curtain for your living room.

• If I recall correctly, we dumped all the books into a bag of holding that the spellcasters could look over later.

Also that giant.. anthill.. book thing?

If I recall correctly, we dumped all the books into a bag of holding that the spellcasters could look over later.

Also that giant.. anthill.. book thing?

The anthill book just turned out to be a big ant hill. And they've thrived in the bag of holding. Whoever's bag holding it is: now every time you pull something out of it, that thing is covered in ants.

• @Mike
    :laughing:

Love it

• Adventurer

Dang I really wish I didnt put the books that I was taking back on the shelves. I was really trying to get in her good graces and lay down some flirt. It looks like you and @westlemania639 are going to have to figure out who gets what. None of these books was the parchment I found under a tile on the floor right? I hope you do run the maze again @Mike . I dont know about you but I know we had a blast running through it.

• Dungeon Master

We can decide in whatever order, only you can use the illusion one, im slightly interested in the inspiration one and the ooze one.

• @westlemania639
    You can take the Ooze book. I have enough minions to last a lifetime xD

I was interested in the inspiration one as well, but I'll take the path of the empath as well, if no one wants it.

• @Reuben said in So about that maze...:

I hope you do run the maze again @Mike . I dont know about you but I know we had a blast running through it.

I might make a triumphant return to SYR in a couple weeks with the Maze. I'll let y'all know.

• There's already only 3 tickets for my game left. Better get on it, fast.

• Dungeon Master

1 Ticket Left!

• Great game, y'all!

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.