DD Lab: Montcore's Renaissance Spells

• With the lab complete, Montcore will begin to create Montcore's repeater. Specifics available in DD lab's thread.

I need details from @mike on a shock spell designed specifically to restart a character's heartbeat, just like a "real life" defibrillator. Ill call it: "Montcore's from death to bed-rest." Specifics available in DD lab's thread.

I need details from @mike on a time dilation spell revolved around singing. "Montcore's Melody of March."
    By combining traditional spell techniques with musical concepts, such as cadence, pitch, and melody; Montcore endeavors to create the ultimate marching song.
    The caster must sing this spell, and while singing can only march. If he is ever interrupted the spell ends. All those that sing along with the caster can move through the world as if they were 1+ the caster's level multiple faster then all other things not singing. If anyone singing performs any other action other than singing and moving (or stops singing the song) they do not receive this boon and will immediately be left behind.
    Example: Imagine Reylas is level 5. He casts the song and 3 other PCs join in. Their movement rate is now 5x their normal movement rate. Essentially the rest of the world slows down by a factor of 5 and the characters move through it as if time were normal. However if they ever do anything other than march and sing, they fall out of this time dilation and are left behind.

• Just so we're on the same page, here's how I have the spell written up. Let me know if you wish to amend it before we have you roll for research.

Montcore's Repeater

Level: 1
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Range: 60'

A bolt of eldritch energy streaks forth from the caster's outstretched hands and strikes its target, dealing 1d10 points of damage. The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can't be singled out.

For every five caster levels, the caster may cast the spell an additional time (the spell is not lost from memory the first time): it can be cast twice at 5th level, three times at 10th level, four times at 15th level, and so on. Each additional casting of the spell must take place on a separate round. Effects that would prevent damage from a magic missile (e.g. brooch of shielding) also prevent damage from Montcore's Repeater.

• @Mike said in DD Lab: Montcore's Renaissance Spells:

Just so we're on the same page, here's how I have the spell written up. Let me know if you wish to amend it before we have you roll for research.

Montcore's Repeater

A bolt of eldritch energy streaks forth from the caster's outstretched hands and strikes its target, dealing 1d10 points of damage. The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can't be singled out.

For every five caster levels, the caster may memorize an additional copy of the spell: it can be cast twice at 5th level, three times at 10th level, four times at 15th level, and so on. Each additional spell must be cast on a separate round. Effects that would prevent damage from a magic missile (e.g. brooch of shielding) also prevent damage from Montcore's Repeater.

Everything is correct except the "may memorize an additional copy." Its memorized once but can be used multiple times. The idea being the spell utilizes palindrome, allowing one spell to have repeat casting.

• @TomunistParty said in DD Lab: Montcore's Renaissance Spells:

@Mike said in DD Lab: Montcore's Renaissance Spells:

Just so we're on the same page, here's how I have the spell written up. Let me know if you wish to amend it before we have you roll for research.

Montcore's Repeater

For every five caster levels, the caster may memorize an additional copy of the spell: it can be cast twice at 5th level, three times at 10th level, four times at 15th level, and so on. Each additional spell must be cast on a separate round. Effects that would prevent damage from a magic missile (e.g. brooch of shielding) also prevent damage from Montcore's Repeater.

Everything is correct except the "may memorize an additional copy." Its memorized once but can be used multiple times. The idea being the spell utilizes palindrome, allowing one spell to have repeat casting.

That's fine (mostly semantics). Please review new wording. If this is satisfactory, we'll begin the timeline for researching. The current campaign is Mid-Winter 16 I believe, so one week would make it Mid-Winter 23 when your research roll can be made to learn the final thing you must do to complete the research.

• @Mike said in DD Lab: Montcore's Renaissance Spells:

@TomunistParty said in DD Lab: Montcore's Renaissance Spells:

Montcore's Repeater

That's fine (mostly semantics). Please review new wording. If this is satisfactory, we'll begin the timeline for researching. The current campaign is Mid-Winter 16 I believe, so one week would make it Mid-Winter 23 when your research roll can be made to learn the final thing you must do to complete the research.

This should be done right? Whats next?

@TomunistParty said in DD Lab: Montcore's Renaissance Spells:

Montcore's Repeater

This should be done right? Whats next?

I think it is exactly the time to be done. At the next session I'll have you roll a d12 for me and that'll determine your next steps.

• Let's remember to do this tonight!

• Make your d12 roll for me!

• @Mike

!roll 1d12

• @NerdBot roll 1d12

• You rolled 1d12: 11

Your rolls:
    1d12: 11 = 11
    Total: 11

• Oh shit! Result:

Roll twice on this table and both results affect your research.

Roll two more times. Now that the bot is in the thread, you can just do !roll 1d12.

• !1d12

!1d12

• Command 1d12 is not recognized

Command 1d12 is not recognized

• @TomunistParty Try !roll 1d12 instead of !1d12.

• !roll 1d12
    !roll 1d12

• You rolled 1d12: 3

Your rolls:
    1d12: 3 = 3
    Total: 3

You rolled 1d12: 8

Your rolls:
    1d12: 8 = 8
    Total: 8

• As Montcore completes his research, he learns he needs two things to bring forth and capture the Repeater spell:

1. A monstrous horn of a minotaur must be ground and mixed with rare oils, and suffused over a piece of vellum.
    2. Then, you must incant a word of power known only by the demon lord, Haagenti. You have clumsily contacted Haagenti and his demonic voice seeped into the prime material plane, suggesting you offer a promise to rebuke learning the Protection from Evil spell -- should you ever learn Protection from Evil, you and anyone else who had learnt the spell would lose the power to cast the Repeater spell.

Once the minotaur's horn is either purchased or found, and the bargain is agreed upon, Montcore will know how to cast Montcore's Repeater.

• @Mike

I agree. No Protection from evil for me.
    Put out the feelers, I need to buy some ingredients.
    I also want to make sure I copy the spell so others can learn it.

@Mike

I agree. No Protection from evil for me.
    Put out the feelers, I need to buy some ingredients.
    I also want to make sure I copy the spell so others can learn it.

Creating copies of spells is no simple task. New spells follow the same rules for other spells. In other words, the spell you initially create is a unique spell. Should you scribe it, it is removed from you spellbook. You can give another wizard your copy of the spell. But, you can't just copy it.

However, they have two options: follow the formula you used to create the spell (minotaur horn plus demonic bargain to rebuke protection from evil) and not need to research the spell themselves -OR- they may try and create the spell from scratch with the knowledge of its existence from you by researching for 1 week and making a research roll as normal, like they might create a fireball or magic missile spell from scratch using research.

In either case, they must make a roll to learn the spell (you don't since you created it).

You could probably find a set of minotaur's horns in Adamas for 820 gp.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.