Goesil's Ruminations

• Dungeon Master

After carousing in Muntburg, Goesil will, after doing a bit of research, pack a bag that would allow him to cook a feast appropriate for a pair of Thulians that haven't eaten in 200 years. Pots, pans, cuts of meat, appropriate vegetables and spices wine, and a recipe book if he can find one. Fine clothes, of Thulian traditional cloth, will be purchased as well, stout enough to withstand the harsh Muntburg winter. He'll bring plenty of Parchment and various writing intstruments on which to take notes. In the light of day, he'll head back to the base camp to serve a feast to the two technicians, converse with them, and puzzle over Gleam, his strange new servant.

• Just a brief point of order:

Volmarians are modern day folks from the country of Volmar to the far south of Dwimmermount in a sort of tropical, sandy, peninsula and island having, Dornish-esque land. Silks, wine, etc. Volmar is a sort of Thulian successor state after the empire crumbled and the city-states formed. Volmarians believe their city-state is the true remaining fragment of the Thulian empire and wish to reinstate it under Volmarian control.

Thulians are the ancient citizens of the long-broken Thulian Empire -- which originally formed after the barbarian warriors (with the help of their gods) overthrew their Eld masters -- that has been disbanded for centuries. The man and woman you rescued from stasis are in fact former Thulians from the ancient empire. Think if Dark Age Britons discovered a tomb that bore a living remnant from the ancient Roman empire.

• Dungeon Master

@Mike well it's a good thing he found that out through research! Think of how embarrassed he'd be. Substitute Volmarian for thulian, please, a feast for Thulians!

• As Humphrey watches over the two mysterious stranger he will hold his finger just to ensure the they are not evil or chaotic beings. Once they pass he will clean them up and dress them in some clothes of his if need be while someone returns.
    Once they open there eye Humphrey will greet them with his holy symbol exposed. "Good morning/evening" knowing that they probably dont understand he will hold out the letters

• @Gombar said in Goesil's Ruminations:

evil or chaotic beings

Just FYI, the finger detects Chaotic enemies.

• @Gombar Does Humphrey speak High Thulian?

• Goesil enters the base-camp cavern where he finds Humphrey hovering over the two unconscious Thulians, whispering something to their deaf ears. A dim lantern illuminates the cavern, enough to show the features of the Thulians in stark contrast to your own. Their cheeks and brows are narrow and high. They have finer features and seem taller than most men of this age. They are both quite attractive, their skin unmarred by time or harm. The woman has deep, dark hair with just a hint of blue and the man's an auburn.

You wait, watching. For hours they make no sudden movements. Finally, the man's finger twitches. And, a slow moan escapes his lips. He seems to be awakening.

What do you do?

• He do not speak HT but he will hold the note out and a platter with food and a drinks.
    Making sure they can see the holy symbol.

• The man stirs and his bright-blue eyes go wide at his sudden wakefulness and strange environment. He immediately goes to speak but viscous fluid spills out of his mouth.

He manages a few words, but you have no idea what they mean. Behind you, Goesil snatches a waterskin up. The man is asking for water in his strange tongue.

• Dungeon Master

@Mike Gently, Goesil mops up the fluid from the man's body, the ground, and himself. He leaves any on Humphrey that might have gotten on him. As he does this, he proffers water, both in a waterskin and in a bowl that he had set aside for washing. In high thulian, he says, wondering how on earth his own accent must sound to ancient ears, "Calm, friend, drink. You are safe. You are safe. Take your time, speak when you feel you can."

• The man nods, sips the water, spits it out, sips it more, wipes himself. His mannerisms suggest he is courtly, of noble stock or perhaps a diplomat of his time.

He thanks you. His accent is strange. You realize you're speaking with someone who's been in a time capsule for 200 years and you're hearing him. It's like traveling back in time yourself.

The man eyes the woman and then you again.

What has happened? Where am I? Did she survive?

• Dungeon Master

I have no reason to believe that she will not wake as you have done soon, though the state that we discovered you in is, I have to admit, unknown to me. You are in an encampment in a cavern adjacent to the Halls of Dwimmermount, we are quite safe. As for the first question, I'm afraid the answer is mostly outside of my answering. What is the last thing you remember?

• He looks confused at first, like he can't remember anything. But, then his face grows whiter and twists into a haunted grimace.

Screams. Pain. Death.

• Dungeon Master

@Mike I'm sorry. How did you get in the tubes? We're you two the only ones? I'm sorry, where are my manners? I am Goesil, sir, what may I call you? You must be famished, please eat your fill.

• I am Colluthus. Thank you, Goesil. I see you are a priest of Asana. The Great Church is still...

About that time there is a coughing from the woman and she begins the same process of awakening, confusion, and then alarm. Colluthus calms her, and then explains the situation. The two of them sit and eat, though, less than you'd imagine. The woman introduces herself. As they eat, you see them whispering between themselves. Finally, they open up. It seems Arethusa is (was) of higher rank than Colluthus, his superior (though you sense there is more between them).

Many thanks, Goesil. I am Arethusa. We are technicians who placed ourselves in the tubes during the fall of Dwimmermount. If you were able to release us, it seems someone has been operating the Great Machine. Thank you for releasing us. The stasis tubes we were in are actually extra-dimensional spaces that can hold several creatures. One of the dials can be used to flip between each space, a dozen in all for each stasis tube. It is likely many have been released or destroyed.

They begin recalling more and it proceeds into a lengthy discussion where you learn the following facts, corroborating some known facts and enlightening you on others...

5-1

The story of the Fifth Era begins with the meeting of Turms Termax and Sarana, the woman who would become his lover and teacher. When he met Sarana, Turms Termax was already a powerful magician, perhaps the most powerful since the days of the Great Ancients and the Eld. Turms Termax was born in the Exarchate of Theana, an eastern province of the Empire. Before leaving Theana, he had already mastered the three great arts – alchemy, astronomy, and magic – and taken the sobriquet “Thrice Great”. Obsessed with the secret of immortality, Turms came west, towards Dwimmermount, in search of its Eldritch knowledge and ancient lore. He gathered a flock of apprentices and followers eager to learn from him as he traveled.

5-4

With his mastery of alchemy, astronomy, and magic, Turms soon unlocked mysteries of azoth that had been lost since the era of the Eld. He began to conduct magical experiments upon his body, infusing azoth into his flesh. Each day he felt himself closer to becoming a God and taking his place as master of the world.

5-5

Turms began to openly preach that the Gods of the empire were false, that Man himself could achieve divinity by internalizing the laws of magic and alchemy, and that He, Turms-the Thrice-Great, would be the first Man to ascend to Godhood. Such was Turms Termax’s brilliance and charisma that a cult grew up around his teachings, ready to worship him.

5-6

In denouncing the Gods as false, Turms earned the ire of the Great Church and the decadent Thulian Empire. His increasingly fiery sermons demanded the attention of the authorities. Nominally they feared he would inspire rebellion, though in truth many of his would-be jailers sought his secrets. The Imperial authorities searched far and wide for Turms, who eventually allowed himself to be captured near Dwimmermount.

5-10

After the apotheosis of Turms Termax, the Thulian official attitude toward the cult changed. Many of the Empire’s most powerful nobles joined the cult, hoping to learn the secrets of immortality. Termaxians—as Turm’s followers became known—were able to practice their faith openly, and the Empire lifted its restrictions on magic.

5-11

The Thulian Empire soon fell under Termaxian control. At first, the followers of Turms acted as advisors to the Thulian emperors, guiding their decisions and using their command of magic to shore up the teetering empire. Within a generation, the Thulian Empire came to depend heavily on both magic and the Termaxians as it spread farther across the continent and tightened its grip over its subjects. Shortly thereafter the cult seized direct control, with Termaxian hierophants wearing the Iron Crown of Thule.

5-12

Once firmly under Termaxian control, the Thulian Empire started to treat other religions as it had once treated the followers of Turms. Only those faiths who acknowledged their Gods as aspects of the Man-become-God Turms Termax were allowed to operate unrestricted. Those which would not accept their divinities as prefigurations of his glory were ruthlessly quashed.

5-22

Resentment rose against the Turms-worshiping Thulians as they grew ever more tyrannical, and in time resentment turned into rebellion. Though the Termaxians began to deploy powerful magic from the workshops and foundries of Dwimmermount, it was not enough to stop the uprisings. Led by clerics of Typhon and Tyche, neither of whom accepted the new faith of the Termaxians, entire provinces seceded from the empire. Thus ended the Fifth Era.

6-1

The Sixth Era began with the Termaxian Empire torn asunder by rebellion. As the insurrections grew more numerous and the Termaxians more desperate, reports of atrocities spread. The Termaxians began using monsters as shock troops, supporting their offensives with the darkest Chaotic magic of the ancient Eldritch grimoires. These proved insufficient to ward off the relentless assaults of the rebels, seemingly blessed by Typhon and Tyche to end the sacrileges the Termaxians had introduced.

6-2

After a series of decisive victories, the rebel armies were within a league of Dwimmermount, poised to capture the mountain fortress and cut the Termaxians off from their great magical arsenal. Yet when the rebels reached Dwimmermount, they found the fortress had already fallen. Its lights were darkened; its enchantries and manufactory were quiet; its main doors had been magically sealed; none of the other known entrances were operational.

We were sages, hired by the Thulian crown to help operate the machinery within Dwimmermount. When the rebels started to gather outside, we knew we did not want to be considered enemies, so we sealed ourselves away. But, as we were doing so, something else happened. We don't know what, but another force entered Dwimmermount before the rebels could. Not wanting to risk the wrath of whatever it was, we finished our encapsulation.

Colluthus adds his own twist, to which Arethusa seems surprised.

There was light. Brilliant, powerful, white light. And, I saw a figure in golden armor walking the halls before I fled to the Laboratory.

They seem tired after so much conversation, but will entertain questions.

• Dungeon Master

I understand your inevitable desire to rest, so I will keep my own incessant chatter to a minimum and keep my questions to a few. Forgive me if I offend with any lack of knowledge, much had been lost in the intervening years of your stasis.

Goesil will ask the following, hoping to get answers for each question, but knowing that his new companions may need a rest from him. All the while, he will keep their glasses filled and see to any need he may notice.

*Are there other creatures in the extra dimensional spaces in the tubes?

We would like help operating the life pool, and the orrery nearby, do you understand their operation?

We know how beastmen are created, but a puzzlement of my own is, when was the first instance of them? I suspect the Eld brought them, or invented them, but I wanted your take on it.

Can you remember any other circumstances that may have changed immediately before the Fall of Dwimmermount?

Sir, you had begun to say something of the Gods before your companion awoke. I'm hoping I could get you to finish your thought.

Indeed, the great machine has been taken control of nearly three months ago, by a Termaxian cult. I am hoping that you could help to guide us there when you are strong enough, and aid us in seizing control from them.*

• @Jackson said in Goesil's Ruminations:

*Are there other creatures in the extra dimensional spaces in the tubes?

There could be...

We would like help operating the life pool, and the orrery nearby, do you understand their operation?

We can explain their use and operation, yes.

We know how beastmen are created, but a puzzlement of my own is, when was the first instance of them? I suspect the Eld brought them, or invented them, but I wanted your take on it.

There are many legends. Some say the ancient Thulians used the Pool of Life to clone their heroes. And, eventually, it became the source of the beastmen, yes. It is possible this originated with the Eld. It is a good theory.

Can you remember any other circumstances that may have changed immediately before the Fall of Dwimmermount?

Let me think on this.

Sir, you had begun to say something of the Gods before your companion awoke. I'm hoping I could get you to finish your thought.

Only that if there are men of the gods, then Law still exists and the world hasn't descended into Chaos... yet.

Indeed, the great machine has been taken control of nearly three months ago, by a Termaxian cult. I am hoping that you could help to guide us there when you are strong enough, and aid us in seizing control from them.*

They both sort of look at each other. The woman speaks.

Is there a town nearby?

• Dungeon Master

Goesil had been wondering how they would react to this last question, and he'll try to gain his answers by gleaning information from their reactions. Either a. These two are followers of termax themselves, or simply contractors of sorts, hired by them. He'll ask a few more questions, and Mike, is there a way you could tell me if Goesil feels that they feel threatened or hostile?

*There is, but I can assure you that you are safest here.

Were there forces of chaos so close to domination at the fall?

Your every need will be attended to but for the asking.

How long do you believe it has been since your stasis began?

Whatever has transpired over the years, know that I intend no harm to come to you by any means.*

• The woman stands.

Before we answer further questions, we must know: are we prisoners here?

• Dungeon Master

@Mike
    Of course not. You are my guests.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.