Origins 2017

• Board Member

Anyone else attend Origins 2017? This was my first Origins experience and it was amazing.

Games I played:

Baker Street
    Investigative dice pool game with some unique mechanics. I played with the layout designer on the book and she was great. The game uses what they call the "Sherlock" die to add a cool twist and the game offers a built-in mechanic to push players towards resolution. If you waste time or investigate bad leads, the adventure gets more difficult. Eventually, if you waste enough time, the bad guy gets away. I want to play more. It captures the Spirit of Sherlock Holmes perfectly.

Dresden Accelerated
    This was my first experience with Fate and I wasn't a fan. I'm not sure if I just didn't like the system or if the GM wasn't great (maybe both?) but I wasn't into it at all. I never felt like anything was on the line, there was no tension, and I'm not familiar with Dresden so that fell flat for me as well. Maybe i'll try it again in the future...but probably not.

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space
    This was more of a demo than a full game, clocking in at just about an hour and a half, but I had fun with it. I'm a Doctor Who fan, and so were the others at the table, so we had a good time with it. The system itself was nothing special, I liked it well enough for what it was, but the adventure we played through was fun and the mystery was enticing on it's own. I'd definitely play again, but mostly because it's Doctor Who. Someone in the Indie Games on Demand area was running a PBtA Doctor Who hack and I wish I would have had time to try that out.

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition
    I had a chance to play CoC with one of my fellow Rogue Cthulhu GMs and I had a lot of fun with it. My GM loves CoC and it was evident in the performance she gave. When she isn't running CoC at a con, she is a writer, so the way she described all of the terrible things happening to us was something to see. At the end of the adventure, my fellow players voted me as the top role-player in the session so I got my pick of a free book from the merch table and walked away with Cthulhu Invictus.

Other Notes
    I was running Call of Cthulhu for Rogue Cthulhu and all of my games were "Pinebox" games. I had players coming back to play in Pinebox and I loved seeing that. The setting went over really well.

How was your Origins experience?

• @Jonathan-Meadows said in Origins 2017:

Dresden Accelerated
    This was my first experience with Fate and I wasn't a fan. I'm not sure if I just didn't like the system or if the GM wasn't great (maybe both?) but I wasn't into it at all. I never felt like anything was on the line, there was no tension, and I'm not familiar with Dresden so that fell flat for me as well. Maybe i'll try it again in the future...but probably not.

Yay! I thought I was the only one who hated FATE! :laughing:

• Board Member

@Mike I really, really hated it. I don't know, it just wasn't for me. The other people at my table were FATE pros, but I thought it was a little too silly and my GM wasn't great.

I asked him specifically what type of game we were playing so i'd know what types of things to do, he told me it was the exact opposite of CoC, and that dying was near impossible. He told me to do whatever crazy thing I could think of, so when we got into battle, I threw out an idea of jumping into a room with magic, grabbing a vampire that I knew was in there, and then jumping out (rubber band effect) and he shot me down completely and told me i'd die if I didn't wait for someone to create a distraction first. I don't know, it didn't sit well, and while others were doing three or four things per turn, it took me an entire combat encounter to do my rubber band trick after someone started a distraction, and I was supposed to be this powerful wizard.

• @Jonathan-Meadows That sounds more like a shitty GM than system issues. But, aspects can be so broad I could see how can become hard to adjudicate them fairly.

• Board Member

@Mike I was definitely talking about the GM there, but I didn't like the system either. I get why some people do, though.

• I've been pretty happy with FATE.

• Board Member

@dmattingly I get why some people like it, but it wasn't for me, at least from what I've experienced so far.

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.