Historical pirate RPGs?

• What are the historical pirate RPGs that are available? I watched some of a great game at last year's GenCon called "Blood and Plunder" but that was a historical minis game ($$$). Ever since that and that show Black Sails, it has been on my mind though. Anyone know of some pirate RPGs out there??? Historical, not fantasy.

• I don't know of a strictly historical game system but you could always utilize a different system and modify some things to fit the style you want.
    I've heard Blood and Bone is a new really gritty system. There is also the Game of Thrones rpg.
    I saw this three part naval combat article the other day too but can't attest to anything in it. It is lengthy though:

• Poison'd. :grin:

Here's how to make a character:

Choose your character’s position under Brimstone Jack:

• Boatswain (“bosun” – sails, rigging, anchor, cables; also the day to day work of the crew)
    • Boy (light labor, service & training)
    • Carpenter (the soundness of the ship’s masts, yards, boats & hull, patching holes under fire)
    • Gunnery Master (the ship’s cannons, powder & balls; the gunnery crew)
    • Quartermaster (the ship’s purse, books & accounts, and the provisioning & quartering of the company)
    • Sailing Master (navigation and steering the ship)
    • Sailor (manual labor, gunnery, fighting)
    • Surgeon (medical care of all on board)
    • X’s Mate (eg Boatswain’s Mate, Captain’s Mate, Carpenter’s Mate, Cook’s Mate)

Which of the following sins has your character committed? Choose none, one, any or all:

Adultery
    Blasphemy
    Idolatry
    Murder
    Mutiny
    Rape
    Robbery
    Sodomy

You may count a sin twice, if your character’s commission of it has been prolonged, repeated, excessive, and unremorseful, and continues to be so even now.

Count it blasphemy if your character is a woman living, acting, and dressing the man. Count it twice blasphemy only if she has also somehow contrived to fuck women as a man.

Devil is equal to the number of sins you’ve chosen. However, if you’ve chosen more sins than six, Devil is still 6, and if you’ve chosen fewer than two, it’s still 2. Soul is equal to 8 minus Devil.

Which of the following has your character suffered? Choose any or all, but at least one:

Accursing
    Arrest
    Attempted murder
    Beating
    Branding
    Damnation
    Disownment
    Impressment
    Imprisonment
    Lashing
    Mutilation
    Rape
    Torture

Mark an x next to any your character suffered at the hands of Captain Brimstone Jack.

Brutality is equal to the number you’ve chosen. However, if you’ve chosen more than six, Brutality is still 6; if you’ve chosen only one, it’s still 2.

From which of the following ambitions does your character take strength? Choose any or all, but at least one:

To be captain
    To own land
    To be pardoned
    To be revenged upon (here name another player’s pirate)
    To be revenged upon (here name a man beyond your station)
    To fuck (here name another player’s pirate)
    To fuck (here name the daughter or son of a man beyond your station)
    To spit in the eye of God
    To spit in the eye of the devil
    To live forever
    To be remembered forever
    To be regarded highly by society

Ambition is equal to the number you’ve chosen. However, if you’ve chosen more than six, Ambition is still 6; if you’ve chosen only one, it’s still 2.

Choosing which Stats

If you want your pirate to treat personal danger casually and without fear, choose a higher Devil than Ambition.

If you want your pirate to prefer cunning, stealth, and deceit, choose a higher Ambition than Brutality.

If you want your pirate to be ruthless, conscienceless and violent, choose a higher Brutality than Soul.

If you want you pirate to endure punishment and torture without breaking, or to be calm and skilled in chaos, choose a higher Soul than Devil.

The greater the difference, the better your pirate will be at that thing – but of course the worse your pirate will be at the thing that follows.

All four are desirable! Your pirate won’t escape the need for any of them. Your pirate will go into danger, will need to be cunning, will need to be merciless, will suffer in body and spirit. Choose the one or the ones you desire most, as best you can. Also, I say “choose,” but sometimes you’ll find that your pirate’s life up to now has its undeniable logic, quite as though your pirate is choosing for himself.

Let me know if you want the PDF. You can buy it here. It's $5.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.