Amazon buys LotR

• Not sure how I feel about this.

• Ven

Is nothing sacred?

• Ven

If they only touched things from the First and Second Age (basically stuff from the
    The Silmarillion) I think I'd be fine with that and actually might enjoy it if the production values are similar to Game of Thrones.

• The amount of money they are spending is INSANITY.

I wonder how this is going to work, in regards to existing along with Peter Jackson's movies? or are they going to pretend they don't exist? Will this be all new characters? Or will they have their own Gandalf, Bilbo, etc.?

• Ven

The article mentions that very little has been made public about the series, but that it will predate the event's chronicled in "Jackson's movies", so I'm picturing something that hopefully predates even The Hobbit and focuses on more legendary eras and characters.

• @johny I think you nailed it but it puts them in a weird spot. They simultaneously need to distance themselves from the Third Age/Jackson's movies and also have characters that people will know and love.

• Ven

I think you could do many different eras and characters: Feanor and his sons swearing revenge against Morgoth for stealing the Silmarils, the story of Beren and Luthien, the entire history of Numenor, Sauron learning how to forge rings of power and seducing Dwarves and Men with the seven and nine before secretly forging the One ring, etc.

Tons of stuff from The Silmarillion that Tolkien barely fleshed out and is ripe for an over the top production to bring it to the screen.

• @johny said in Amazon buys LotR:

I think you could do many different eras and characters: Feanor and his sons swearing revenge against Morgoth for stealing the Silmarils, the story of Beren and Luthien, the entire history of Numenor, Sauron learning how to forge rings of power and seducing Dwarves and Men with the seven and nine before secretly forging the One ring, etc.

Tons of stuff from The Silmarillion that Tolkien barely fleshed out and is ripe for an over the top production to bring it to the screen.

Yessss.

• Dungeon Master

I’m hoping Numenor show. If they just bought the rights from the people who had the movie rights, not sure it actually includes the Silmarillion. The workaround is that you get everything from the appendices to LOTR, which covers a lot of the Silmarillion, but not as exhaustively.
    Numenor stuff has the best ratio of not fleshed out and not overstepping Silmarillion/Tolkien estate exclusive rights to actually make for a kick-ass show.

• Speaking of Tolkien estate... The plot thickens

• @johny I agree completely. Unfortunately..I suspect that is not their plan. They will want to jump on the familiar faces to appeal to the masses. :(

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.