I had a question regarding thrown melee weapons, kind of confused.

• Adventurer

So! Here's the question. The wording for a lot of stuff which says "with a melee weapon attack" is very contradicting but I wanted to play things out correctly. Specifically I picked up a Dwarven Thrower last night. Now depending on how things are read, my Barbarian abilities for Rage/Reckless attack work with a "melee weapon attack" and while it is a melee weapon it is being thrown. However Jeremy Crawford has said very opposite things depending on the question. Here is an example: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/19/dagger-archery/ "A dagger is a melee weapon even when you throw it." Whereas elsewhere he's made comments where it wouldn't benefit from melee abilities if thrown.

I'm not sure how to really take in all of this but it sounds like they're considering the wording as [melee weapon] attack or melee [weapon attack] which is why it's so confusing, and I wasn't even sure if the Multiverse was strictly like Adventure League or its own thing and just similar. I figured posing the question to you all, to maybe bounce off of other people to get a consensus would be helpful. I appreciate any help you guys can provide here!

• Dungeon Master

@cawilliams My reading is that it is a 'melee weapon' attack, even though it is a 'ranged' attack. So because it's still a melee weapon, you're good. But that's based on the barbarian ability description, nothing else. I don't think it is sloppy that they say 'melee weapon attack' instead of 'melee attack' in the description; from hearing and reading design philosophyin 5E, ability descriptions are pretty specific to just their particular block of rules text. Thus it doesn't really contradict a description dealing with dagger archery, because the descriptions of dagger properties generally are specific to that dagger or weapon modifier description, and likely say 'ranged' or 'melee' attack, not addressing a class ability applying to attacks with 'melee weapons.'

• Adventurer

Hm, I'll definitely see what a few others think. Given the nature of the Multiverse and being in different DM's games and all.

A big reason I also was confused is that I'd been applying my Rage and Reckless Attack to thrown attacks with my Javelin and Hand-axes for the past four games I've played in, though no one told me I was doing it wrong and I only thought about it cause I looked it up. It's been providing advantage on a throw within the minimum range, and canceling out disadvantage for the maximum range. Once I get a consensus I'll change what I'm doing cause I wanna be following the rules properly :)

So far, mostly it's kept me being able to do something when the party is full of casters. Feel like Gimli huffing and puffing trying to get into combat lol.

• @cawilliams said in I had a question regarding thrown melee weapons, kind of confused.:

Hm, I'll definitely see what a few others think. Given the nature of the Multiverse and being in different DM's games and all.

Yup. Each DM may have a different ruling on this. So, I would just be prepared to make your case but respect each DM's ruling.

• Adventurer

@mike said in I had a question regarding thrown melee weapons, kind of confused.:

@cawilliams said in I had a question regarding thrown melee weapons, kind of confused.:

Yup. Each DM may have a different ruling on this. So, I would just be prepared to make your case but respect each DM's ruling.

Exactly :) Playing it by ear seems to be the way to go, and not having it in one session compared to another won't be the end of the world.

• Adventurer

@cawilliams hola! The multiverse is very similar to Adventures League but it is not the same as we have our own rules and conventions. Usually with rules like this i leave it up to DMs discretion. Different DMs might interpret the same rule a different way. As far as this rule it sounds like it is a malee weapon [attack]. That is how i read it. Looks like he is basically saying pg 149 of the phb tells you if it is a malee weapon. And it doesnt matter how you attack with it, it is a malee weapon. That is how i read it

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Nerd Louisville Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.