#Spoilers - The Last Jedi Discussion

• Apocalypse Martian Judge

SPOILER ALERT

If you haven't seen it, don't read this thread. This thread is for discussion of The Last Jedi, including spoilers.

So...

The goddamn mirror scene. I get it's supposed to be like Luke going into the cave. But, did I miss something that happened? It was just her seeing numerous versions of herself? She wanted to know her parents. But, her parents being "nobody" doesn't mean they don't exist.

Any insight?

• I saw it as a revelation in to what the "dark" side is.

When she focused on the force during the rock meditation scene, she was able gain a true sense on how everything is connected to the force Outside of herself.
    However, in the mirror scene she was connecting to the force Within herself.

So, of you look back to TFA, you see a Rey that is like 5-7 years old watching her parents leave. Which is young, but still is able to know who her parents are. Her Journey of finding her parents was her lying to herself. So the mirror was showing her, her true self and not her parents. Her parents didn't help keep her safe, She kept her safe! She knew who her parents were, but she was suppresing the truth. Everything that she is, All of her abilities, come from within her and not her shitty parents.

So the mirror was showing her, because she was her own "parents".

I think the question of Rey's parents was a stepping stone to a bigger question, which is: What is the Darkside? Which I think TLJ started to scratch the surface of with the mirror.

Yin and Yang. Push and Pull. Inward and Outward. Darkside and Light.

I think that's a good justification, but doesn't really explain what her parents have to do with anything. Like, when Luke goes into the cave, he's like, "What's in there?" and Yoda is all, "Only what you take with you!" And, Luke sees himself as Vader. So, it's a clear depiction of what he's grappling with. He's got the "dark side" gene (as it turns out later in the film).

But, with Rey's parents, who cares? What does that have to do with anything? How would that realization lead her to the dark side? I'm guessing maybe it's the parallel of Luke finding out Vader is his father in ESB versus Kylo Ren telling Rey her parents are nobodies? So, maybe that pisses her off and she joins him to rule the galaxy?

Hmmmmm. I guess it's the inverse of Luke's story.

• Ven

I'm not 100% convinced Kylo Ren isn't lying to Rey with regard to her parents, preying upon her feelings of abandonment to turn her to the dark side. He's offering her the stability and comfort of family through himself that both of them have now lost (or never had). But whether or not he's being honest with her ultimately doesn't really matter, it's still a good hand to play on his part.

I'm also interested to see where the next film takes us with regard to the Darkside. The Force always seems to seek a balance between Light and Dark and each hero's journey (Luke's and Rey's) into their respective caves (subconscious) reveals that both the Lightside and Darkside are in everyone/everything. I think Luke's desire that the Jedi die with him is his understanding that seeking "enlightenment" solely through the Lightside is as ultimately futile as the path the Sith take with the Darkside.

It's cool that neither Kylo Ren nor Rey are fully trained and indoctrinated into either the Lightside or Darkside. Both are still raw and the two people that could complete their respective training (Snoke and Luke) are out of the picture. Whatever path they choose from this point will truly be of their own volition.

Ultimately, however the filmmakers decide to wrap this up will be fine by me... I'm just happy we haven't had to hear one word about stupid fucking midichlorians...

• Ok, here's my problems with TLJ....

Finn. I was really excited about Finn coming into this movie and they totally dropped the ball on him. He doesn't know where he's at, he tries to flee like a coward, then he gets a half assed side mission with another love interest? What happened to him and Rey? Super disappointed in the Finn treatment.

Hyperspace. What happened to "Plotting a course through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!"? Now it's teleportation... And worse, you can suicide bomb a ship into another ship. Wait, what? Why would they NOT do that to one of the 2 Death Stars... or Darth Vader's Star Destroyer? Or come up with a super tough, super shielded ship that you just eviscerate other ships with? Boo.

Why didn't Leia die? Carrie Fisher passed on. You had, what, 3 great chances to kill her off like a hero in this movie and didn't? So you could do what? Write her out of the next one? I've read on the internet that her estate gave permission for her likeness to be used in the next movie, but the studio or JJ Abrams said "No". So now what? She gets a lame, "Oh no, we lost her." in passing? Lame.

There were scenes in this movie that I enjoyed: Kylo and Rey in the throne room, Luke reunited with Chewie and Artoo, Luke saying "What do you want me to do, face down the entire First Order with a laser sword?" then later in the movie facing off against the entire First Order with a laser sword. But the movie just doesn't hold up.

That's my 2 creds.

That's pretty good insight. Yeah, the Finn side-tangent and new character was a bizarre wrench in that whole story.

• @mike said in #Spoilers - The Last Jedi Discussion:

That's pretty good insight. Yeah, the Finn side-tangent and new character was a bizarre wrench in that whole story.

Mark Bernardin had a great idea on his podcast.

Finn is with the Rebel fleet, but the fleet is being tracked by the New Empire. Why didn't someone think "We have a fucking ex-Storm Trooper with us. THAT'S how the New Order is tracking us!" Then Finn is wrongly imprisoned...not because he tried to turn tail and run. Then Poe and Rose can break him out and try to get on the New Order ship to disrupt it...or something.

@judge_john said in #Spoilers - The Last Jedi Discussion:

@mike said in #Spoilers - The Last Jedi Discussion:

Mark Bernardin had a great idea on his podcast.

Finn is with the Rebel fleet, but the fleet is being tracked by the New Empire. Why didn't someone think "We have a fucking ex-Storm Trooper with us. THAT'S how the New Order is tracking us!" Then Finn is wrongly imprisoned...not because he tried to turn tail and run. Then Poe and Rose can break him out and try to get on the New Order ship to disrupt it...or something.

Way better story. Interparty conflict versus splitting the party for a dumb side-tangent that ultimately fails.

Also, the odds that... "Oh hey, a second codebreaker that is 1 in a million just happens to be in the cell we were in..." was pretty fucking stupid.

• And just made Finn and Rose look naive and stupid. "Oh, the guy we met in jail betrayed us? Gosh."

@judge_john said in #Spoilers - The Last Jedi Discussion:

And just made Finn and Rose look naive and stupid. "Oh, the guy we met in jail betrayed us? Gosh."

Yup.

Users

Topics