Wolves of Blood + Honor, Episode 2:
played at Nerdlouvia, November 13, 2016
- Westley as Cyrus Matthews, Journalist. SAN 50, LUCK 30, DEX 70. Investigating for a story.
- Jackson as Derrin McElroy, archeology student from Wisconsin. SAN 50, LUCK 50, DEX 40. Customer of Jeremy, friend of William Lee. Avid rock climber and frequent visitor to the refuge, so therefore opposed to the Wolves.
- Jorge as Jeremy Redrock, the drug dealer. SAN 50, LUCK 55, DEX 80. Source for Cyrus. Dealer for Derrin McElroy and William Lee. Knows Joshua as William’s little brother. Jeremy is opposed to the Wolves of Blood + Honor because he is a Native American activist.
- Kyle as William Lee, the horror author. From Pinebox. SAN 40, LUCK 60, DEX 60. Interviewed by Cyrus. Brother of Joshua. Customer of Jeremy. Has brilliant idea for a novel. Curious.
- Reuben as Joshua Lee, High School Nerd, DEX 50, SAN 70, LUCK 55. Took classes with Derrin. Brother of William. Following his brother.
- Justin as Jakub, Time-traveling Polish Partisan. Jakub was trapped in the Dreamlands during an earlier Achtung! Cthulhu adventure, while he was defending Poland against the Nazi invasion of 1939.
Part 1 – Introduction
Jakub has been living in the dreamlands for what seemed to be thousands of years, ever since he was trapped there physically after entering through Bald Mountain in Poland during the Nazi invasion of 1939. In the dreamlands, Jakub has been acquainted with Gn’ag, who visits the dreamlands while sleeping in his mysterious underground realm of K’n-yan. Gn’ag is the ruler of the underground empire of K’n-yan. Suddenly Gn’ag appears to Jakub and asks him to return to Earth. K’n-yan is under attack from the surface world, and Gn’ag instructs Jakub to discover why the surface-dwellers are attacking and to try to interfere with the attack. Gn’ag casts a spell, sending Jakub back to Earth.
Jakub suddenly appears in the parking lot of the Dollar Tree shopping center in Pinebox, New Mexico on November 9, 2016. He is almost struck by a car: it is driven by William Lee, with passengers Joshua and Derrin. Jakub is wearing dreamlands garb: colorful clothing, with armor and medieval weapons. Jakub tells them that he is on a mission to find an entrance to an underground realm that is being invaded by surface dwellers.
William, Joshua, and Derrin know that a local survivalist group, the Wolves of Blood and Honor, have established a base in the Hollow of Cross-O Mountain in the Wildlife Refuge. Their friends Cyrus and Jeremy are planning to investigate.
Joshua and William know that the Hollow of Cross-O Mountain is rumored to be haunted. Some visitors see a ghostly apparition of a nude one-armed woman whose mouth is stitched shut.
Jakub wishes to join them, suspecting that the haunted Cross-O Mountain may be connected to his quest.
Part 2 – The Wildlife Refuge
Cut to Cross-O Mountain. All of the characters are looking down at the survivalist base in the Hollow of Cross-O Mountain. Down below, there are five all-terrain vehicles parked in a semi-circle: A dodge supercab pickup, a jeep wrangler, a jeep Cherokee, a suburban, and a Ford Ranger. A teutonic cross is emblazoned on the sides of the Cherokee, and on a flag that is flying from the antenna of the Ranger: The tailgate of the Ranger is down and there seems to be something piled up in the bed of the truck under a tarp. Three camping tents are set up within the semi-circle. Beyond the tents there is fresh earth around a large hole that has been dug in a shaded spot. Picks and shovels are lying around it. A young man in camouflage clothing is standing around talking to a young woman in jeans. They both have assault rifles and holstered pistols.
The investigators attempt to sneak up on the base. The Lee brothers make noise, causing the guards to see all of them except Jeremy and Jakub. The guards start to take everyone captive, handcuffing them with zip-ties. Jeremy and Jakub sneak up behind the guards and capture them.
The young man is Marcus Jackson, younger brother of Randall Jackson. The young woman is April, his “common law wife.” Once captured, they can relate the story as they know it: Randall Jackson met T’il-Hthah-Vor, a noble of K’n-yan, in the dreamlands. T’il-Hthah-Vor convinced Randall to open the gate to K’n-yan, offering him sanctuary in K’n-yan. T’il-Hthah-Vor wants Randall’s help to overthrow the ruler Gn’ag. Gn’ag opposes this plan, so T’il-Hthah-Vor plans a coup when Randall’s group opens the gate.
In the bed of the Ranger are three strange artifacts under the tarp: an octopus-headed idol and a serpent-headed idol. The octopus-headed idol is made of usual bluish metal, and the serpent headed idol is made of gold. Each appears to weigh about twenty pounds. There is also something wrapped a brown safeway grocery bag - a gold seven-sided amulet with a red jewel that weighs about five pounds. All have hieroglyphical symbols. A history check reveals them to be Sumerian hieroglyphs.
(pics from http://www.cthulhushop.com/ and https://lovecraftzine.com/)
Marcus tells them what has happened in the last few days since the Wolves of Blood + Honor arrived at the site...
First, the Wolves blew open the entrance with explosives (hand-made nitroglycerine). Jackson and most of the others went down inside. They fought something down below then brought up two idols, now in the back of the truck, and gave some first aid to some wounds they had received. Then they went back down.
They came back up after more fighting, and announced that one member of the group, Mason, had been killed. They brought up an amulet as well and put it in the truck before going back underground.
Cody McCarty came up and said that he had been sent into town for more supplies. After he left, they noticed that the amulet was missing. Jackson and several others pursued him. They returned with Cody and the amulet, plus the bodies of Carl the Wolf and Tyler, Cody’s brother. They took them all down below and haven’t been back up since.
There are, or were, seventeen total Wolves. Minus Marcus and Jennie, Carl and Mason there are 13: 9 adult men and 2 women, plus a teenager and pre-teen boy.
The investigators put the amulet on Marcus. Marcus becomes robotic and his voice changes dramatically. Marcus has been possessed by Gn’ag, the ruler of K’n-yan. Gn’ag, in the body of Marcus, greets Jakub and offers to lead them to K’n-yan. The investigators release Marcus, now controlled by Gn’ag. They leave April tied up.
Part 3 – Underground
The hole in the ground reveals a heavy door . The door appears to have been blasted open with explosives. Stairs lead down to a large cavern. An archway leads to a passage that goes further underground. Several dead bodies lie here. The bodies of two members of the Wolves are lying on the floor arranged side by side with arms folded, as if lying in state.
- One dead survivalist has a brutal head wound (inflicted by Tyler Suther).
- The other dead survivalist was disemboweled and had his throat torn out, as if attacked by a large animal. A trail of blood shows that the body was dragged here from the archway.
- The body of Tyler Suther also lies here with gunshots to the head and chest, though his body is not as neatly arranged and his arms are not folded.
- Another body is staked down and still moving. It is clearly a corpse but animated. It is a nude albino woman with one arm and her mouth stitched shut. The missing arm appears to have been amputated. The body has multiple gunshot and stabbing wounds, and there are rope burns around the neck and wrists. The remaining arm and both legs are staked to the floor. It was dragged from the area beyond the archway.
Through the archway is another chamber. In the center of the far wall is a round hinged door that is opened. The door is six feet wide and does not appear to have a lock. Both sides of the hatch are covered in glyphs surrounding a large symbol. There are blood spatters and footprints in the dust around the center of the room. It appears that the one-armed corpse was fought, subdued, and dragged from here. The bloody drag marks from Mason’s body come from beyond the gate. Gn’ag is impatient for the group to hurry.
Beyond the gate are a maze of natural caverns. There is a foul smell that leads to the body of a huge creature. Gn’ag identifies it as a gyaa-yoth. It was clearly killed by multiple gunshots. The mouth and forepaws are bloody. The survivalist’s body was dragged from here. There is also an albino human corpse wearing a red loincloth, also killed by multiple gunshots. Gn’ag explains that the ruling faction wears red loincloths, while the rebels wear gold. They follow the tracks of the Wolves of Blood + Honor further into the caverns.
(pic from http://yog-blogsoth.blogspot.com/2012/03/gyaa-yothn.html)
Soon they encounter another warrior riding a gyaa-yoth. This warrior wears gold, and assumes that the Investigators are more of the surface dwellers aligned with his faction. Gn’ag casts a spell that withers the warrior’s arm, and the investigators finish the work of killing the warrior and gyaa-yoth.
Part 4: The Subterranean Empire of K’n-yan
The caverns open into a huge underground realm lit by phosphorescent blue light. An underground city can be seen in the distance – They can see the site where Randall’s troops have taken a defensive position and are fighting with guardians of K’n-yan.
The investigators suggest to Gn’ag that he should infiltrate the Wolves of Blood + Honor and ambush the leader, Randall Jackson, since Gn’ag has possessed the body of Randall Jackson’s brother. Gn’ag thanks them for this fine suggestion, and heads towards the fight to do this.
G’nag uses telepathy to contact Jakub. He instructs Jakub to take the other investigators captive. Since they have found the underground empire of K’n-yan, they cannot be allowed to leave. Jakub feigns agreement, but leads the other investigators back to the surface. G’nag contacts Jakub again to angrily denounce him for this betrayal. G’nag tells Jakub that henceforth they must be enemies.
Part 5: Epilogue
Back aboveground, the investigators take one of the four vehicles and return to Pinebox.
They drop off April, still tied up, in front of the police station. However, they discover that she was later released because she had not been accused of any crime.
Cyrus writes a story that is published in the Albuqurque newspaper. He describes the underground chambers, but he leaves out the animated corpse, Gn’ag, the underground empire, and all of the supernatural elements. He includes pictures of the bodies of the dead survivalists and of Tyler Suther.
A couple of the investigators later return to the site. They find that two of the remaining three vehicles are gone and the hole has been filled in.
Jakub agreed to stay at Jeremy Redtree’s place on the reservation. Jeremy promised to get Jakub a fake ID.
- Who filled in the hole and who took the missing vehicles?
- What happened to Cody Suther, the brother of Tyler and Earl, who defected from the Wolves but was recaptured?
- What happened to April after she was released by the cops?
- and most of all, what about the ancient empire below Pinebox, the ruler of which is now concerned about threats from the surface world?