I'm hosting a hackathon (a volunteer weekend for technical people) to fight hunger here in Louisville.
I'd love to have you join me.
data commando, rocket scientist, preacher, author, artist, new waver, entreprenerd
Carmichael’s Kids presents #1 New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer at the Gheens Science Center and Planetarium on Friday, September 14th at 6:30pm. Meltzer will be discussing his latest (and 15th!) release, I Am Neil Armstrong, which is part of his Ordinary People Change the World Series. We will have books available for purchase and Mr. Meltzer will be autographing copies directly following his presentation. This event is free, open to the public, and appropriate for ages 5 and up.
Additionally, attendees will receive a special $5 ticket rate for the planetarium’s 8 PM live presentation of “Skies Over Louisville” that highlights constellations visible in the autumn night sky. Sky maps will be provided and the Louisville Astronomical Society will have telescopes in the courtyard afterward (weather permitting). Parking is first-come, first served in the visitor lot next to the planetarium as well as the Red Lot between the School of Music and Business School (no permit required for this event).
Join CDA and Data for Democracy in a hackathon for the #D4GX with a focus on the Global Data Ethics Pledge (GDEP).
The Pledge is a global initiative aimed to create the most widely adopted framework and community for ethics in data science.
We will be workshopping ideas on how to get people to adopt the Pledge for their projects, organizations and companies, how to best spread the word about the GDEP, encouraging other to join in the project, and actively gathering more signatures.
Join the movement today. Become a data defender for life.
Weekend of Making at FirstBuild next to the UofL campus.
• Maker Village, presented by Maker Faire Louisville (September 16)
◦ Who: Makers, students, families
◦ What: A family-friendly expo of makers and their projects in a festival atmosphere
◦ When: September 16, 11 am -7 pm
◦ Tickets: Free admission Sign up here
Maker Village Features:
· Food trucks - The Blue Crab, Bellamisso Italian, Cookie Cabin
· Lots of hands on exhibits from University of Louisville Knowledge in Development Lab, Rockem Sockem Robots, Louisville Free Public Library, United States Patent and Trademark Office, Whitefield Academy Rocks Robotics Team
◦ AMCC: Learn the latest 3-D printing techniques and see UofL’s engingeering teams, the Rocket Team and Racing Team.
◦ and enjoy Tie-dying, make a kazoo, make a screen printing t-shirt, play with robots and drones, learn to cut vinyl and see A Pruis Boat?
Hack the Home Mega Hackathon, presented by FirstBuild (September 15-16)
◦ Who: Makers, programmers, engineers, designers, techies—anyone who wants to have a hand in creating the next generation of ideas for the home.
◦ What: High-energy Hackathon where participants will create the next innovations for the home and compete for more than $10,000 in cash and prizes.
◦ When: September 15, 16
◦ Tickets: Tickets for the weekend are $5 for students; $10 for professionals; limited early-bird pricing may still be available
◦ Sponsors: Include Renesas, 3M, U.S. Steel, Samtec and more
◦ Learn more: https://firstbuild.com/blog/firstbuild-hackathon-faq/